Which circuit?

My range hood vent died recently so I decided to replace it. BUT the circuits in the breaker box are poorly marked. Just want to know if I am correct inassuming the 240 volts to the stove would not normally be somehow split to power the 120 volt range hood. Any hints on the project?

Tia

Lou

Reply to
LouB

It definitely shouldn't be connected to the range line unless the hood is an integral part of the range. If it's just a standard basic hood, it's probably on the same circuit as the lights in the kitchen, or some other lighting circuit

Reply to
RBM

Get a "voltage detector". Turn off the stove breaker, and see if the wire still beeps.

.

Tia

Lou

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I often use The Jesus method to find breakers. You take a plug with a couple of lengths of insulated wire sticking out about a foot then strip a half inch of insulation off the ends of the wires then plug it in making sure the wires don't touch, yet. Hold the wires apart, turn your head, close your eyes, touch the two ends of the bare wire together and shout "JESUS!" during the resulting flash and small explosion. It's also a good way to test your circuit breakers. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Does Jesus come and help? :)

No, it's NOT connected to the 240v. Either the light circuit or a nearby outlet.

If the light works in it, turn on the light and shut off breakers till it goes off.

Otherwise just shut off the house MAIN, disonnect the two wires beneath a small panel (look for a screw on a panel). Then cap the wires coming from the wall, and turn the power back on. If you want, before capping them, put a tester on those wires and turn on the power MAIN. Then turn off each breaker one by one till you find the one for that hood.

That's when you shut off the breaker and cap those wires till you repair or replace the hood.

Reply to
jw

Real electricians just use a six inch length of 14 gage insulated wire, bent into U shape, and ends stripped.

One real electrician I saw, used a length of plug and wire, work box, and a BIG push button.

Doubt that Tia's range hood has a socket to use.

The Jesus method works less well, on FPE Stablock panels, where it is also the WTF method, as your wire melts in your hand. My neighbor found out that his FPE Stablock panel didn't turn off the water heater power, when he turned off the water heater breaker.

.

I often use The Jesus method to find breakers. You take a plug with a couple of lengths of insulated wire sticking out about a foot then strip a half inch of insulation off the ends of the wires then plug it in making sure the wires don't touch, yet. Hold the wires apart, turn your head, close your eyes, touch the two ends of the bare wire together and shout "JESUS!" during the resulting flash and small explosion. It's also a good way to test your circuit breakers. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Some people have been known to see Jesus during such an operation.

I was working with a friend, and he was working on an overhead circuit, lighting. I asked if it would be a good idea to turn off the power. He had turned off the MAIN, or so he thought. Problem is, that the MAIN was actually the feed to the WATER HEATER, and he was working on a CIRCUIT that was live. It was DAY TIME, so I turned off the REST of the breakers. Much SAFER.

.

Does Jesus come and help? :)

No, it's NOT connected to the 240v. Either the light circuit or a nearby outlet.

If the light works in it, turn on the light and shut off breakers till it goes off.

Otherwise just shut off the house MAIN, disonnect the two wires beneath a small panel (look for a screw on a panel). Then cap the wires coming from the wall, and turn the power back on. If you want, before capping them, put a tester on those wires and turn on the power MAIN. Then turn off each breaker one by one till you find the one for that hood.

That's when you shut off the breaker and cap those wires till you repair or replace the hood.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

LouB wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid:

As stated by RBM, the range light will most likely be on the same circuit as the kitchen lights.

The stove is on its own breaker, as will be the dryer, and other high-draw appliances. Since the stove is a 240V appliance, there may be two breakers linked together with a crossbar (I say "may" because I'm not an electrical expert, and I'm guessing that it's possible that some houses may have single-switched 240V breakers).

Here's a tip for a one-time reconciliation of lights & breakers throughout the house:

1) turn on all the lights in the entire house; 2) trip one of the single breakers; 3) walk around and see what turned off; 4) write down the relevant info next to that breaker. Repeat from #2 with the next breaker.

Use a desk-lamp, drill, night-light, or other small electrical device to check the outlets to see if they're on the same circuit as the lights.

Next time you need to shut off a specific circuit, you'll know exactly which breaker to trip.

Reply to
Tegger

I forgot, you can get a light bulb socket adapter to plug in your two prong electrical plug. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I never stick a shorting wire into an outlet because the arc can damage the internal contact surfaces inside the outlet leading to a bad connection. Real electricians know this. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

A table radio tuned to a Hip Hop station and the audio wide open gives you an incentive to quickly find the breaker that turns it off. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:jf2ej6$a0f$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Dat be dope, yo.

Reply to
Tegger

Yes. They're not connected, or when you pulled the stove out from the wal, to clean or replace itl, in addition to its cord, it would have other wires from the stove to the wall to power the range hood. None have that.

My range hood is supplied from the same breaker and junction box as my dining room chandelier. The dining room is on the other side of the wall from the stove.

Reply to
micky

That's right. They use their fingers, which won't melt.

Reply to
micky

Make sure your fire insurance is up to date first, because you can burn down your house that way. Google it if you doubt me.

Reply to
cjt

To check sockets, use a loud radio with music you hate. The breaker that turns the noise on and off.....

.

Here's a tip for a one-time reconciliation of lights & breakers throughout the house:

1) turn on all the lights in the entire house; 2) trip one of the single breakers; 3) walk around and see what turned off; 4) write down the relevant info next to that breaker. Repeat from #2 with the next breaker.

Use a desk-lamp, drill, night-light, or other small electrical device to check the outlets to see if they're on the same circuit as the lights.

Next time you need to shut off a specific circuit, you'll know exactly which breaker to trip.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I should know better than to use that name with you around here..... :) However, if someone grabs both wires they might see him in living color (Panavision)!!!

The Main should ALWAYS be labelled "MAIN" Personally I label all breakers, even if it dont list every outlet, at least some sort of idea what that one is for. But an electrician MUST label the main. Not sure if code requires it, but breaker boxes always come with the labels, it's not hard to stick em' on.

Sometimes a panel contains TWO or more Mains too....

What I had problems with were old buildings that had multiple apartments, and were originally just large single homes. In those you never know what meter/panel is feeding which apartment. When I worked for a rental company and had to service these places, they were a nightmare. One tenant would be paying 90% of the bill and the others paid the rest. Of course the owners didn't want to pay to rewire, so I just had to swap around wires as best as I could. I knew better than to touch any wire without putting a tester on it first. Yet, there were several times that the sparks would come flying out of a box because of old dried up insulation and the power from the wrong apt.

Then there was the drug addict who laid in bed shooting holes in the ceiling with a handgun (because of flys on the ceiling). Shot right thru a BX cable up in the attic, not to mention the holes in the roof. The idiot started shooting while I was there to fix that BX. I left. Told the owner to call me back when the guy was in prison. (I did not turn the power back on when I left either). That night the cops hauled him away. Then I fixed the wiring, and he had to reroof the place too. Amazing how stupid some people are....

I was glad to quit that job. All the properties were ghetto houses.

Reply to
jw

I did not read yours first. Honest.

If you're deaf, use a 100 foot extension cord, and run a light to where the panel box is. I SAID!!!! IF YOU'RE DEAF!!! RUN A 100 FOOT EXTENSION CORD AND RUN A LIGHT TO WHERE THE PANEL BOX IS!!!!!

Well, it loses something along the way.

.

A table radio tuned to a Hip Hop station and the audio wide open gives you an incentive to quickly find the breaker that turns it off. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Any electrican worth his salt carries a voltage detector in his shirt pocket. An NE2 bulb in a little plastic case with 2 leads on it. Stick the leeds into a plug, or touch a wire, and touch the other lead with your pinkie. If it lights, it's live. If it doesn't, it's dead.. And set up a shotgun aimed at the panel to get any stupid bugger that turns a breaker back on (if you don't have a physical lock-out)

Reply to
clare

An electrician friend pulled a power meter to a church. While working on the wiring, he was shocked very bad. Went out side and someone had put the meter back in the meter base.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery