How to remove old electric range and check voltage?

Hi all:

We have a really old (probably 20-30 years) Frigidaire Twin 30 (30") Custom Delux freestanding electric range which was made in one giant piece (see

We will be replacing this range soon but would like to double check what type of receptacle and voltage it is using right now. Does anyone know how to "remove" this giant piece of stove?? Also, after removal, I'm not sure whether we need another extra 110 volt receptacle to install a seperate range hood, does anyone know any detailed spec or information about this specific model of "Frigidaire Twin 30" freestanding range?? Will I be in trouble if we remove the stove now and find out that we could NOT install any range hood (ductless models) later?? Many thanks!

Reply to
T. T.

Given its obvious age you will likely need a new outlet with additional ground wire.........

standards have changed.

Its highly possible the range hood has its own 120 volt outlet.

in any case just take it out and go from there

Reply to
hallerb

looking again plan on adding a new 120 volt outlet. While your at it GFCI all kitchen outlets except fridge and dishwasher.

Unductewd hoods do little good:(

Reply to
hallerb

Reply to
RBM

It most likely has a cable directly wired into the unit, 50 amp 240 volt. The current NEC requires a new range to be connected using a range outlet and cord set. If the feeder is existing and three wire, you are allowed to use it, however a new installation would require a four wire feeder and outlet

Reply to
RBM

Try pulling out the bottom drawer. You may be able to see the cord or cable that is feeding it. It could have been hardwired or connected with a plug and receptacle. It could be a three wire or a four wire feed which doesn't matter too much for many new electric stoves as they can usually be wired either way. You will need a different 120 volt line or receptacle for a range hood or a microwave.

I have found that in my area of New Jersey the older condos and townhouses that have this type of unit from the builder also have an unused 120 volt line in the wall behind the upper unit. It seems that the electricians who originally wired the buildings had planned for the installation of a hood fan.

You could open up the electrical circuit breaker panel and look to see what kind of wire is feeding the stove. You would see two wires on a circuit breaker and either one bare or a bare and a white connected to the neutral bar and maybe ground bar. The alternative is to remove the stove to see exactly what you have back there.

Reply to
John Grabowski

As was previously stated, you may be able to see the 240 volt plug and receptacle behind the bottom drawer. There may be a separate fan unit attached to either the range or cabinet with its own power feed. The NEC does not allow the fan to be powered from either of the two kitchen appliance circuits, so it's most likely fed from a general lighting circuit. That's OK for a standard range hood, but not for an over the range microwave.

Reply to
Bob

Even if the code permits I would go 4 wire with a plug for the stove, realizing 3 wire leaves a shock hazard under the right circumstances and in any case this is in a kitchen probably close to a sink....

For ME the hazard would be too great and if a home inspector spots it you have a home sale hassle.......

Why not replace the line or at least add the ground wire and 4 prong plug? The plug is convenient if say a burner needs replaced.

Reply to
hallerb

Reply to
T. T.