mower engine blowout again

Must be something in the air... following the 'mower engine blowout' thread a few weeks ago, my trusty ol' mid-'80s B&S lawn tractor engine decided to call it quits yesterday:

Upon initial inspection the valvegear and crank seem to have escaped damage, so I think the failure was limited to the balance weights (with a bit of collateral damage due to things bouncing around inside the crankcase)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Bother, that looks like a total catastrophic failure.

Closest I've had, was a generator that threw a rod. But, mine was enought to result in some very out of character crude language, as I realized my mistake. Oh, well.

.

Must be something in the air... following the 'mower engine blowout' thread a few weeks ago, my trusty ol' mid-'80s B&S lawn tractor engine decided to call it quits yesterday:

Upon initial inspection the valvegear and crank seem to have escaped damage, so I think the failure was limited to the balance weights (with a bit of collateral damage due to things bouncing around inside the crankcase)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just wrap some duct tape around it, you'll be fine.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

nice. it's not your daddys briggs anymore.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Be sure to salvage that air cleaner screw and spacer....

Reply to
Fat-Dumb and Happy

I've heard JB Weld can work wonders.

Reply to
so

I noticed that the old Briggs push mowers with 2 to 5 HP engines will last forever, even if they are not kept up properly, but the larger Briggs engines are notorious for blowing rods, no matter how well you care for them. Of course that includes all the lawn tractors because they all have at least 8hp engines, often up to 20hp.

Reply to
tangerine3

Duct tape and wd-40 .

Greg

Reply to
gregz

UUuuuuhhhh. Which part of that is collateral damage?

Reply to
RonB

Good, isn't it? :-) The original screw sheared, and that was a quick fix using the only thing I had in the junk box with the right threads; I figured I'd find a replacement later, which was two years ago now.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

If you stuck a rope in the spark plug hole and back out the..... well, ..... that other hole, it might make a pretty good boat anchor.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Larger (just bought a 24).

Reply to
krw

Naah, it's got to be gorilla tape.

.

Duct tape and wd-40 .

Greg

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

LLOKS like the rod and cap are still intact???

Reply to
clare

Yeah, they keep running forever, until they stop.

Reply to
EXT

I thought I'd follow up on this, having torn it all down. The root failure seems to be the hole for the oil slinger bracket wearing and elongating - that meant the oil slinger teeth were no longer meshing with the drive gear properly. The fragments of the top support and bearing for the synchro balance weights show signs of major overheat, presumably due to oil starvation. One that support failed, the lower support couldn't handle the load by itself and quickly failed too - this left the weights flapping around, and which point the crank collided with them and threw them out of the engine... cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Jules, can you mail me, i have a XD88/20 and some other nice stuff like boot/install tape.

Reply to
vetteblei