HOA sides with thieves

"[HOUSTON] Just a few weeks ago, after the birth of their son, [the homeowner] had burglar bars installed. But now the homeowners association said the bars hurt property values and must come down immediately. And if they don?t it will start fining the [homeowner] $200 a day."

HeyBub

Normally I DONT LIKE HOAs rules however in this case what is the home owner trying to accomplish?

note the photo, theres a glass wndow in view at ground level.

a burglar could easily use the window to gain access.............

the home owners hard earned money would of been better spent on a good security system

Reply to
bob haller

Yes, I noticed that right away too. And those bars sure do look like hell. I would have gone with a security system as you suggest. Also, if he wants to make the door more difficult to gain access through, a more secure door correctly installed and a good lockset would accomplish most of what he's getting with those bars. I'd side with the HOA on this one.

Reply to
trader4

-snip-

Unless someone has been tricked into or forced to buy a home that falls under HOA rules, I'll side with the HOA every time. There are lots of laws that we comply with that we have little control over-- buy avoiding HOA rules is pretty easy. Just don't buy the house.

Jim [just saw another where a lady is facing several thousands of dollars in fines for planting flowers where the rules say she can't-- Why?]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Makes me wonder what the back of the house is like? Easy kick doors, glass, and so on?

Might have been better use of money and energy to invest in alarm system, and buy the wife a couple baseball bats and pepper spray?

.

Yes, I noticed that right away too. And those bars sure do look like hell. I would have gone with a security system as you suggest. Also, if he wants to make the door more difficult to gain access through, a more secure door correctly installed and a good lockset would accomplish most of what he's getting with those bars. I'd side with the HOA on this one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He should just have them "on" the door but the security door will stop the majority of burglars that want easy access to the doors.

Think about it this way: You see someone hauling a large screen TV out of a window or a door; which one looks more suspicious?

Reply to
gonjah

I would not go that far. HOA's can misapply the covenants or rules. Or they can make up new rules that exceed their authority. That's why sometimes the homeowners win if they go to court. But in this case, the guy may not have a leg to stand on. One interesting aspect is that some other homes do have similar bars. It would be interesting to see how they came to be, if they got approval, etc.

Reply to
trader4

I agree....bars sufficient to keep out burglars may also keep out fire/rescue folks. Happens every now and then, esp in high-crime neighborhoods. I rather like the idea of a "safe room" (especially in a rural area) with a sturdy door and a cell phone that stays charged and in the room.

Reply to
Norminn

We'd have to see the black-letter rules. I doubt there's a section prohibiting burglar bars by name. Therefore a committee used their discretion to ex post facto bar bar use (no pun intended).

Or, equally probable, the HOA is filled with thieves* who oppose any obstacles to their vocation.

Reply to
HeyBub

They also give you breathing room when you answer the door, so a criminal can't rush in when you open the door.

They also reduce the intrusion level of solicitors (like Mormons/Jehovah's Witnesses/*PIRGS) who blithely ignore a "No Solicitors" sign and bang on your door anyway.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

And why not a 200' tunnel from the safe room in case the burglars brought a couple cans of gas to torch the place? I'm just glad I don't live in a high crime area. Somebody did steal my wheelbarrow recently. Probably the scrap metal collectors that cruise by all the time. Bastards. If I was in a high crime area, I'd look at a few options.

  1. Move.
  2. See if crime could be reduced (Neighborhood watch, etc.)
  3. A loud alarm system and a Remington autoloader backup.

Making my home a fort isn't an option.

Reply to
Vic Smith

We put up a "no solicitors" sign because they were waking my nephew from his naps.

A guy rang anyway and I asked if he read the sign. He told me "I did but I don't smoke."

Reply to
gonjah

bars prevent break ins by making it harder for a criminal to access the building. A security system notifies the homeowner and hopefully the police that someone has just broken in and is in the process of doing things that they're not supposed to be doing.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Believe me, some piddly burglar bars are not going to keep out the fire department! They've got gear that can pull down* the whole damn house! The apartment house across from me caught on fire about three years ago and the first fire truck (they ended up with FORTY-TWO pieces of fire equipment on the scene) pulled down the IRON PICKET FENCE and didn't break a sweat.

Your idea of a "safe room" has much merit. I'm reinforcing a walk-in closet to act as one, even though my house has burglar bars. I'm replacing the interior sheerock with 3/4" plywood and putting up a steel-clad door with interior throw-bolts. The closet will have an electrical outlet for the 'phone charger. And a .38 revolver with a box of ammunition.

I'm not sure whether a slot to pass a food tray will be required - I'm thinking multi-use here.

Reply to
HeyBub

I have burglar bars on the window and doors. I also have a monitored alarm system, both intrusion and fire. Should the stink-eyes defeat those obstacles, I have a pistol in almost every room augmented by a shotgun in the room of the master's repose. We're also protected by a Maine Coon cat, although, admittedly, he's pretty much of a wuss.

Why would you ask such a question? Unless, of course, you wanted to find out whether a trip to my house during the dark of the moon (or the total solar eclipse this coming Sunday) would be worth the effort.

Reply to
HeyBub

Same old story. Baby in danger! Vet ordered to take flag down! Ect ect! Call the media cause they always love it. Going after the nasty old HOAs always sells newspapers.

The other side is the same old story too. Buy a house, sign for the rules, then cry loudly when you get caught breaking them.

I have a security door. But I applied for an HOA permit *before* I put it up. This is one case where getting permission IS easier than getting forgiveness...

Reply to
AJL

What's that new show about people preparing for the Apocalypse? You're not one of those are you? ;)

I've found a good insurance policy and good door/window locks is about all I need but I live in a pretty nice neighborhood.

Reply to
gonjah

Pretty much, but for a different reason. I spent eight years as a deputy sheriff and have seen what the scrots, squints, goblins, cut-purses, do-bads, and stink-eyes do just because it's dinner time.

Pustules are mobile.

Reply to
HeyBub

Probably irrelevant. I doubt there's a restriction in the covenants specifically mentioning "burglar bars" or similar. Further, some neighbors HAVE burglar bars on their houses. After finding nothing in the rules on point and seeing similar devices installed, what's a homeowner to conclude?

Reply to
HeyBub

My dad, RIP, was a cop/sheriff for several years. He was pretty much the same way.

True that. Luckily, I live in a place with an extremely low crime rate. When I lived in ABQ you could pretty much count on a robbery or two.

Reply to
gonjah