HOA sides with thieves

If there is no restriction in his HOA rules then he can tell the HOA to go suck eggs.

Are this guys burglar bars HOA legal? Maybe the neighbors bars are HOA approved. They allow that type of burglar bars in my HOA but I doubt that they would approve the POS I see in that picture.

Simple. Read the HOA rules. If it's there you can't do it, and visa versa. If the HOA has quit enforcing the rules then it's open season.

BTW I'm glad this guy isn't near me. He seems to keep old doors stored on the porch, doesn't trim his bushes or cut the yard, and he lets his dog run loose... ;)

AJL

Well, as some of my previous posts regarding HOA's might suggest I am not a big fan. I lived with a Gestapo group in Andover, KS for about

9 years and I will never live in an association neighborhood again.

With that said, bars do give the home and the neighborhood an image of not being such a good place to buy or live. From the sounds of the news story that might be exactly the case.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

The point of any home security is to convince the perp to hit your neighbors. All it has to do is look tough. If they really want your pop-top collection, they'll get it.

Baseball bat? Pepper spray. She'd have to get too close. A 9mm works.

...unless, of course, you're afraid to have it used on you.

Reply to
krw

Why would a thief live there? Any with half a brain will move to a place with a stronger thugs union (Democratic Party).

Reply to
krw

You bet. Those rigs aren't pulled by horses anymore.

My plan, too. I have a perfect room in the basement for a bomb shelter. It's cement walls on two sides and there are several "rooms" (bare 2x6 studded partitions) between it and the outside walls. I figure it's a good place for some T&G ply I never has a chance to use. I'm not so worried about burglars as weather, though.

Kinky!

Reply to
krw

Even life insurance isn't going to save yours.

Reply to
krw

If my gun is used on me, the perp will have to beat me to death because the gun will be empty.

Reply to
HeyBub

Or perhaps your wife will get home before you?

Reply to
krw

Huh?

I CARRY my gun everywhere I go.

Reply to
HeyBub

If ya' gotsta 'splain it...

Reply to
krw

the best spent money is no doubt some low cost outdoor security lights, a dog in the home, and some signs protected by ABC security monitoring service, even if the home has no security system....

smart landscaping outdoors to prevent hiding spots for the bad guys helps too.

the steel jail bar look really accomplishes little.......

Reply to
bob haller

He also doesn't read very well! I don't 'solicit' either - I don't want lung cancer! lmao

Reply to
ckozicki

Most burglaries occur during the day.

A family pet is fine. But getting a dog just for a burglary deterrent would be very high maintenance solution.

Agreed. Have used security signs (with no security service) for years. Before that I used to put those foil burglar alarm strips (remember those?) on the windows,

Good idea if the neighbors watch out for you.

Disagree. Bars (hopefully) makes the perp go hit another easier house.

Another suggestion:

Hide your garage door opener in your car so it can't be seen. In my area they break into your car (anywhere they find it-at work for example), get your address from the registration, steal the garage door opener, drive to your house, open the garage door, drive in, lower the door and empty the house at leisure. Happened to my neighbor and I even walked by during the burglary and was none the wiser...

Reply to
AJL

Nonsense. It is more of a deterrent than the signs. It makes the same statement, as well as improving security (of that possible entrance).

Reply to
krw

Moron, you admitted that "some signs protected by ABC security monitoring service" was useful. You don't think a security door won't be just as useful?

...or have a security system.

Irrelevant.

Bullshit. The FD can pull any security devices off in seconds.

Irrelevant.

All irrelevant.

Reply to
krw

What on earth makes you think burglar bars must be easily removable?

I live in a large city. Admittedly my home town is not known for nannyism, but there are NO regulations like you suggest. Further, if the fire department wants entry, they have equipment than can reduce burglar bars to junk in less than thirty seconds.

On the other hand, burglar bars are a significant deterrent to cops trying to serve a search warrant... (they have to call, and wait for, the fire department).

Reply to
HeyBub

Not always. When I working police/fire beat with a group in the late

70s, their bomb guys would come out, wrap some det cord (maybe a small patch of plastique, my memory is fuzzy on that part), take out the burglar bars and do a poor man's flash-bang at the same time.
Reply to
Kurt Ullman

burglars bars must be removable from inside or outside in a emergency like a fire.

to prevent people from dying unable to get out. in some areas its just bedrooms, in other areas any room in the building.

bedrooms must have ingress egress windows, or the room isnt a legal bedroom

Reply to
bob haller

They must? Everywhere on the planet? A citation is in order.

Reply to
krw

Hmmm.

According to a 2004 study (United States Fire Administration), there were about 16 fire deaths each year attributed to burglar bars or similar impediments. There are over two million burglaries in the U.S. each year.

You do the math for your own situation.

Reply to
HeyBub