Potted PCB

Am attempting to map out a pretty simple through hole PCB. It's the central locking controller for late Rover SD1, and the complete unit NLA as NOS. Made by Kiekert. Basically, two standard micro switches, a SPST relay, and this timer PCB. The idea being to write a repair article for the car club mag.

The PCB is potted in a blue material. Soft, and does cut off quite easily. I'd guess something like PVC. But not sure. Removing it where it has moulded round the components, a bit more tricky with a knife.

Anyone know of a solvent that would make it easy to remove - without damage to any of the components or markings on them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) laid this down on his screen :

Probably silicone, try WD40.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

When I was in commercial third party repair, a lot of potted circuits could be cleared and cleaned with Nitromoors.

A lot of care was needed as some of the components were not totally immune, so selective washing and scraping was still required.

Nitromoors might be more component friendly now, maybe more potting compound friendly too :-(

AB

From the well pummelled keyboard of Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Nitromors no longer contains Methylene Chloride though, thanks to the EU.

Have you tried it for de-potting since 2016 when it was reformulated ?

Reply to
Andrew

Yes - it could be silicone. Did try WD40 - perhaps it needs to be left longer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Damn, you beat me to it.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It's trivial to buy the stuff separately if you really have the need. You can always mix it back in if you're so inclined.

Reply to
Fredxx

If you have a small piece already cut off, does it melt or soften with a hot air gun?

Reply to
alan_m

No, I suspected it may be the case that it was tamed a little, hence my cautionary final sentence.

I have been out of third party repair for thirty years BTW.

Nitromors was doomed from the time that idiot in the papers a few years back thought it was a good joke to cover her partners face in it while in a drunken sleep.

Darwin triumphed once again!

AB

From the well pummelled keyboard of Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp
<snip>

Let me re write that for you:

'Thanks to the EU banning it for general sale in paint strippers in

2011, Nitromors no longer contains the carcinogen and otherwise dangerous chemical, Methylene Chloride (although Member State authorities can derogate from this restriction allowing, subject to conditions, continued supply to, and use by competent professional users in their territories).'

If we let stupid people vote, then we also have to stop them killing themselves by using Methylene Chloride / DCM indoors.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Very likely it's polyurethane resin or PUR...

This is supposed to remove it, to some extent...

Clive Arthur

I thought this when the statement cropped up. I didn't even bother to comment!

I did actually point out to the lesser able of this NG some time ago that it was not difficult to buy the 2kW vacuums, the sodium chlorate and all the other garbage they seem to think has been snatched from their mitts by the EU.

Strangely enough, they didn't even ask where they could go for all these desireable goodies that they are willing to screw the UK in order to own.

I am reminded of Trumps morons demanding the freedom to go shopping and have haircuts yet having no qualms about spreading the infection and killing their fellow citizens to do it.

Same stupidity, same outcome.

America is finding the truth faster than the Brexit mob though.

AB From the well pummelled keyboard of Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

That sounds a bit modern for a 40 year old part. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
<snip>

Nope, it's not worth it most times, they (the anti EU fanatics) aren't interested in facts and good sense and most of the rest know who they are and just ignore them.

Of course. Most of what they cite as being down the EU bogyman (that they (alone) seem petrified of) is only partially true.

Nope, why would they, that would show their cause for the fools errand it has always been (with the total absence of any evidence otherwise).

Yup, and him going to a fireworks display, with no mask or social distancing and allowing everone else to do the same. It's as if he doesn't care about the socially deprived, ethnic minorities and elderly (the most vulnerable groups)? ;-(

Quite.

I'm afraid this is when 'The cause' (Black Lives Matter, 4Th July etc) are more important than common sense, like either aren't going to be around again? It really should be 'live to fight / celebrate another day', not 'fools rush in ...'.

Wind people up with bogus promises, the classic fanatic Brexiteer 'everything will be ok' bs and these days it seems some really can't see though it to the reality. I guess when the red mist falls ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

p.s. As an aside on the subject of staying safe, daughter just went past our local cafe and noticed the staff (one is from Latvia and she is brilliant / extra friendly) were struggling without much in the way of PPE etc. She offered them more visors FOC so I've currently got the

3D printer going, knocking out a batch of visor frames and daughter has the remains of the pack of acrylic sheets and the 4 hole punch to finish them. We hope to get them to them tomorrow. ;-)

I did 40 for the Isabel Hospice and 10 for the local doctors surgery. ;-)

Reply to
T i m

Well done!

I guess your actions are almost as beneficial to the UK as waving a union jack and bellowing like an insane moron at a pro Brexit rally :-)

AB From the well pummelled keyboard of Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I remember using it - light blue two part mix stuff from RS - probably

38 years ago.
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Good man. I had an SD1 V8 on a V-plate. Great when working but not the world's most reliable car. It was always the minor stuff that failed. Mine had a long term oil leak resulting in the base of the car being continuously rust proofed. Floor and sills was in perfect condition but the arches and door bottoms decayed in front your eyes. It did about

175k miles before the engine started making expensive noises such that it was cheaper to put a 50k mile lump out of a rear-end collision in it.

Is the potting similar to what is used around the window motors? All four of mine eventually failed. The potting compound was not 100% impervious and if you didn't use the windows all the time, the motors eventually seized. It was a bugger to cut off but you just needed to get enough off that you get some WD40 the lubricant in to free off the motor and gears etc. I did all four and never resealed. I took the door cards off every 6months and squirted WD40 in to lube them up.

From memory there was a capacitor that was charged up, took a few seconds, that was used to drive all the door solenoids. Simple way of limiting the current and hence dissipation in the locking solendoids.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Mine is over 200,000 and still going strong. Has had a cam change, though.

Oddly, the motors themselves seem pretty reliable. But not sure if yours, being an S1 had the same as the S2. The control for the window motors was very different on S2 cars.

Again, that was the early central locking. Later cars used motors rather than solenoids. In some ways a retrograde step, as there was no motor in the drivers door. That's where the controller is. Making remote locking impossible without modification. Mine is totally non standard with newer more powerful motors, my own design controller, and remote locking.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah, sounds like they did plenty of improvements on these items. If I had somewhere to keep one I'd love another. Mine was an amazing mile-muncher and was effortless to drive.

Reply to
mm0fmf

I'd guess the later Kiekert CL was cheaper. The early system could be locked/unlocked from either front door and even with a button inside the car. The Kiekert only from the driver's door. And the motors - especially for the rear doors which have a longer linkage - a bit marginal power wise.

But it's still a nice car to drive, and mine has the injection engine, so still quite quick. And at least you can always find it in a car park. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)