OT 35mm SLR camera

On Monday, 5 December 2016 13:16:13 UTC, dennis@home wrote:

So what no on really cares.

So why bother doing it for a prime lens or ttell us which prime lens this has been done for, or so evidence of this surperb prime lens yuo;'re going on about.

No I don't.
You tell me where I get get this perfect prime lens .

Thanks for confirming you have no knowledge of basic optics.
--
*HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE A CIVIL WAR?

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
On 02/12/2016 17:04, whisky-dave wrote:

I don't do the impossible only the improbable.

Define good photos, some of the best photos were made with pinhole cameras. There is nothing stopping anyone from making a good photo with that bodycap.

Some attributes that you need to take good photographs under conditions where a zoom wouldn't be as good, I thought that was obvious.
A zoom is never going to give as sharp, contrasty, colour exact image as a good prime of the same focal length. However that may not be what you want in the photograph.
You would think that if zooms were so good then really expensive cameras like the hubble would use zooms?

On Friday, 2 December 2016 18:09:33 UTC, dennis@home wrote:

So you can't didnlt thibnk so.

Then how do you know they are the best photos ?

So they don't need a prime lens do they.

What sort of attributes are these then ?

Yes it can depending on construction.

you should use the best chocice of lens for your subject.

the Hubble is a camera but..
Biggest 'Zoom Lens' in Space Takes Hubble Deeper into the Universe
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2003/01/
On 05/12/2016 10:34, whisky-dave wrote:

You didn't do it so its impossible.

How do you know they aren't.

It is a prime lens. You really don't know what one is do you!

You are the expert in photography so you should know.

No it can't.

And that may not be a zoom but a better quality prime.

The hubble is not a zoom!
Do you know what makes a zoom a zoom as opposed to a variable focal length lens like the ones that are common on CCTV cameras?

On Monday, 5 December 2016 13:10:05 UTC, dennis@home wrote:

I don;t waste time trying to do impossible things.

I didn't call them some of the best photos yuo did. So tel me what makes you think some of teh first photos were the best photos/ A pinhole camera doesn't have a prime lens or a zoom lens.

I do you don't. A bodycap what are you talking about ? It doesn;lt have any optics in it. modern bodycaps are just mostly a bit of plastic to stop dust and dirt getting in to a cameras body through the lens mount.

I do know , there are very few if any instances where a zoom wouldn't be as good, but there's 100s of reasons why a zoom lens is better for most people.

That's why even pros buy zoom lenes otherwise they wouldn;t make them.

It may be but normally isn't the best lens for teh majoroty of potos is a zoom lens.

I know and it''s is NOT a lens either.

do yuo mean vari-focal ? CCTV tend to have digital zoom.

On 05/12/2016 13:28, whisky-dave wrote:

So why do you think they can't be?

*You* posted the link to it! And it is a prime lens.

There is more to it than optical quality as any photographer will tell you.

The best lens for a photo is always the one you have. If its a cheap zoom then that's the best.
The majority of photos are taken on prime lenses even if they are in phones.

Neither is a mirror lens but that doesn't stop people using them.
However it is a lens in the sense that photographers use the word lens. You should go on a course and they will explain it, or probably not as they will be wasting all their time talking about film.

On Monday, 5 December 2016 15:30:18 UTC, dennis@home wrote:

I never said they couldn't yuor the one claiming they were the best not me.

a shit prime less much worse tean the majority of zooms.
Just because it;s called a prime less doesn;t make it better than all other lenses. It's lielk prime steak.
http://gizmodo.com/5980162/olympus-officially-made-the-worst-lens-in-the-world
why do you thinbk it such a great lens you've said prime lenes are the best so how do you work this one out ?
On 05/12/2016 15:49, whisky-dave wrote:

I didn't say it did, however you have stated that zooms are always better than primes. You can spend 10% of the price of that zoom you keep on about and get a prime that's sharper, less distortion, weighs less, has a faster aperture, etc.

If its the only one there to take a photo it must be the best one. Photographers use the tools they have and use their knowledge and experience to produce photos. They don't use a film camera because someone tells them its the only way to do photographs.
On Monday, 5 December 2016 16:02:22 UTC, dennis@home wrote:

No I have not, NOT anywhere.
You;re the one saying prime lenes are bettere as they have them in smartphones. For me that doesn;t make them the best lenes for anything.

How about proving that with an example. if what yuo are saying is true then no pro would bother with a zoom lens. In the 21st century zoom lenes are better than the primes of 40 years ago and better than some primes made today. And most prime lenes like any zooms lens will produce 'sharper' more accurate images when stopped down from it's f0.75 (the fastest lens I've heard of) .
It'll still be better at f8 and most zooms will still produce better results at f8 than the prime lens will at f 0.75.
Then there's the speciality primes that do macro or perspective control.
The advantage of a large aperature is fast focusing or lower deptth of field it;'s not to get better quality as that doesn;t happen until the lens is stopped down.

Most only have a zoom lens that is what;s supplied as the kit lens with the majority of cionsumer cameras sold today.

and they certainly arentl; refuing to buiy zooms because some idiot tells them prime lenes are better, because they know better.
On 05/12/2016 16:42, whisky-dave wrote:

Really, I wonder where people get the idea you did?

Now that I have never said. However I will still say you can get better prime lenses than zooms as far as image quality goes.

OK (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Its only 5% but it will do.

So if I stop my f0.7 lens to f2 it will produce better results than your zoom stopped down to f2.

Be careful you are approaching the diffraction limits of most lenses when you get down to F8 or smaller. Even you must have noticed that image quality gets worse as you stop down more.

Why does the large aperture make faster focusing? Are you using some old fashioned autofocus?
The image quality depends on how well the lens is made. I have some lenses that are figured to 1/8 wave length of light but you won't get a camera lens that is anywhere near that good as they don't even test them to that sort of level. Hubble is to better than 1/10 wavelength IIRC.
Old film lenses were designed to very poor performance as the film couldn't resolve to the limits anyway (it still can't).

Odd that they sell them if nobody is buying them.
On Monday, 5 December 2016 17:13:12 UTC, dennis@home wrote:

What people seems tlo be just you and you seem top have the idea that prime lenes are the best those used on digital camera are better than pro zoom I don't think so try again.
A Prime lens is one of fixed focal length that is all it means to be a prim e lens.

and you can get better flat glass than prime lenes, so what. Thre are 100s of prime lenes that are shit compared to a modern well design ed zoom. In the mid 1900s you might have been correcst when any lens was be tter than the first few zoom lenes but that is no longer the case.

5% what exactly what's so special about this lens ? It's not even for a FF DLSR it's aimed at the mirrorless market.

There's no gurentee of that it's not that simple maybe you are but leneses aren't.

Not at f8 you don;t f16 and smaller yes. Even your prime lens has f8 f11 f16 .
>Even you must have noticed that

No it doesn't

More light entering the camera or human eye in the old days. Did you not know that even humans focus better in bright light.

Like eye sight.

In the first instance yes.

why would you have such a lens and how do you know if they donl;t test them ?

so have have yuo got one.

then how do you know what you;'rs is ?

the hubble is a mirror NOT a lens.

That wasn't the reason.

People do buy them but that doesn't mean they are buying them because they are top quality optics. Remember a prime lens is a fixed focal length lens nothing more.
http://digital-photography-school.com/prime-lenses-an-introduction/
get educated.
Quality – traditionally prime lenses are known for their advanced optics and quality. They generally have less moving parts and so manufactur ers are able to concentrate their efforts on adding quality glass and menan isms.
Keep in mind however that just because it’s a prime lens doesn? ??t mean that it is going to be of the highest standards. Manufacturers make a range of lenses at different price point (zoom and prime) and some are always going to be better than others. Price – in general prime lenses are simpler in terms of constructio n and as a result they can be cheaper to buy. Of course it’s not as simple as this and quality is determined by many factors and as a result p rice varies a lot even in the prime lens range of most manufacturers.

Dave - Google the design of prime and zoom lenses.
You might then notice a zoom lens has more bits of glass than most prime lenses.
You might then Google the optical quality of various materials. When you find a perfect one get back to us.
--
*Too many clicks spoil the browse *

On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 14:06:27 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

What has that top do with how a lens is named ?

But can have less glass overall.

find a photogrpher and ask them.
Get educated.

On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 14:06:27 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

if yuo had a clue you'd know it's more than just the optical quality. Tell me what is so specail about this prime lens
http://gizmodo.com/5980162/olympus-officially-made-the-worst-lens-in-the-world It is a prime lens. What specail glass and how much of it.

On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 14:06:27 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The design has nothing to do with it.

So. I see you have yet again no idea about photography you don't choose a lens depending how much glass it has in it.

So how come everyone doesn't use this glass that doesn't exist ?

Come off it! The design of any lens (prime or zoom) has a big effect on the quality of images it produces. I could make a lens out of a single piece of glass, but it would have horrendous chromatic aberration. If I used two pieces of glass with different refractive indexes I'd compensate for this, to some extent. That's the *start* of designing a lens to produce a better image, though there's a lot more to it than that.
A zoom lens has more elements (and therefore is heavier and *may* produce more distortion or purple fringing) than a prime lens. Compromises will be made: it may be possible to reduce pincushion/barrel distortion and chromatic aberration to levels that are too small to see in normal photographs, for certain focal lengths, but these faults may be worse at other focal lengths. I had a couple of Sigma lenses for my Canon film SLR and they had horrendous pincushion at longer lengths (I wish I'd noticed before I bought them), so it was better to use my 70-200 on 70 than it was to use my 28-70 on 70, though I had to suffer a slightly worse max aperture.
There is software that will correct for distortions in many lenses, using a database of lenses and cameras. PTLens is one such program. For digital cameras it can read the camera and lens make/model and the focal length used, and correct automatically. For film cameras you'd need to scan the neg/slide and tell it the focal length used.
The camera make is only relevant for compact cameras where the lens is not interchangeable and the lens tends to be defined by the make of camera.

You choose a lens based on the quality of images that it produces, which *tends to* be better with more lens elements. On the other hand, that increases the weight and maybe the length and the maximum aperture, and these are also factors that may be significant in choosing a lens.

I think that was Dave's point in his sarcastic comment "When you find a perfect one get back to us", with the implication that you won't find a perfect glass.

No matter how one tries to explain things, Mr Whisky never understands it.
I assume he never has to communicate with those students he claims to serve.
--
*Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 11:23:30 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I understand photogrphy you don;t that's the point.

and all you do is communicate with yuorself that's why you thunk you are always right.