35mm kitchen hinge cutter!

Anyone used these for cutting a 35mm hole for the kitchen cabinet hinges? in hard wood doors???? can you use a ordinary hand drill? carefully! I see them advertised at screwfix £12.62 and £16 BQ Fil

Reply to
philosopher

A drill press would be the ideal tool, if you can borrow one from someone, but I would imagine that a hand drill (if you mean hand powered, not electric or cordless) would make the hole OK if somewhat slowly.

Sometimes I think hand tools give a more controlable result.

Toby.

Reply to
Toby

Or in my case just go off 'true' more slowly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Axminster do short pattern 35mm forstners for £6.19

use mine with a portable drill stand to control depth and keep it square, about £12.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Drill a hole through a bit of ply or whatever. Put that over the door where you want your hole (stand on it, clamp it) and drill away: You can't slip and you're straight. Add a strip of wood and a pencil mark or so and you've got a jig so all holes can be 3mm (?) from the edge.

Don't overheat the bit -- it's easy to do in hardwood.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

In message , Peter Ashby writes

I just drilled mine with a hand held power drill. It worked fine (4 pairs of hinges) but yes a drill stand would make more sense.

Reply to
chris French

or for £6.99 or you can get a full set of forstner bits of 15, 20, 25, 30 and 35mm from machine mart

Reply to
Frank