OT 35mm SLR camera

Came across my 35mm SRL Nikon camera. Are these things worth anything at all now? Or just junk.

Reply to
harry

If you are really good at taking photos it would be worth a lot. So, probably next to not a lot.

Reply to
Richard

Chuckle, so how is it nobody sells a kit that fits in like a film but with a digital array instead of the film? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Hasselblad do, but it's *very* expensive.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

There have apparently be a few attempts at doing a kind of digital film replacement unit, but has usually turned out to have a number of unexpected difficulties and complications getting it to work in a variety of cameras. One of the first problems to deal with is the spacing between where the film can goes and where the sensor needs to be is not a standard distance. Then there is the need to provide feedback to the film advance detection systems that count sprocket holes etc - again with sensors in a variety of places. Then there is the difficulty of keeping the sensor clean.

Reply to
John Rumm

The lens is probably worth more than the camera body as long as it hasnt got a lot of dirt or worse still fungus in it. Check eBay for what they are fetching. I sell 35mm cameras and lenses regularly in my local charity shop or on eBay. Nikon lenses are always in demand but there is a good niche market for most (not APS) film cameras and 35mm, 120, 127 and even 110 film is available.

Reply to
Robert

Come on, Harry. You could have just looked on Ebay. These film cameras are AFAIK still required equipment for photography students, so that alone should support a market in them. But a growing number of people are going back to film for b/w usage, using classic, high quality cameras and developing tanks for the negs but doing the rest via film scanners and image editors and computer photo printers. A kind of retro movement similar to the rise in interest in vinyl records.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Why would photography students be required to learn using film? Learning is about experimentation and seeing what happens if you get it wrong, and digital has the big advantage over film that all your photos are free, so there is encouragement to experiment. OK, so you don't learn about film-specific things like increased grain with increased film speed, reciprocity failure (*), push-processing to increase contrast, effect on contrast of a print of under- or over-exposing a negative - but then you only *need* to know about those things if you are using film.

As long as your camera has manual or semi-auto settings (ie that you don't just use auto-everything mode all the time) then you can learn the principles of photography more quickly and much more cheaply with a digital camera.

(*) With film, very short or very long shutter speeds mean that the rule "double the aperture and half the shutter speed gives the same exposure" is no longer true - and with colour film the effect is different for the various colour-sensitive layers, so you get a colour cast.

Reply to
NY

But they are large format cameras, not normally sized 35 mm ones. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'd have thought that adjustments would be needed only once, and that would be that. OK you would need some access if you wanted to get the memory card out of course, but apart from the inconvenience of no display, something we never had before digital anyway, its a minor issue I'd have thought. Software could make the response film like, that only leaves the wind on problem. Does this really affect anything? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It does with the motor wind built into lots of the more recent film SLRs.

The reality is you would probably have to build multiple models to fit various cameras, and even then you would not get all the features of a true digital camera like being able to check and review what you have just taken immediately. (although a wireless link to a phone could make up for some of the limitations and actually add some capabilities the digital SLRs don't have like a remote viewfinder)

Reply to
John Rumm

I had several Canon cameras ... you could change the back for a 'data back' allowing you to superimpose numbers & text onto negative as pic taken.

Feasible to evolve that to a fullframe digital sensor ... but why would you want it ? Camera software has come on amazingly since 35mm days, to get that you need more modern lenses and the new electronic bodies - so market to sell 'digital' conversion is very very small.

Plus manufacturers have a vested interest in selling new product - they would rather you buy a new camera.

Reply to
rick

Nope. Some photo degree courses still require possession ofa 35mm film camera.

I still have my Pentax MX that I bought 2nd hand in

1986, well used with nice brassy corners and a dent in the pentaprism. It's been around the world, spent 2 years in Fiji, all across the Pacific and through South America. A pair of 1,5V silver oxide cells last for ages. Accepts all the pre-digital pentax lens (M42, K, Ka, KaF).

And I also have a Pentax LX, the best technical camera by far. When loaded with Kodachrome 25 (RIP), (in sunny climes), nothing can touch it. You can take pictures under moonlight on a tripod because it reads the light bouncing back off the film and just shuts the second blind when enough light has hit the film. Has the whole range of changeable prisms and viewfinders, plus a winder and it cost me £169 in London Camera exchange in 1997.

for home-developed B&W, it's just too valuable to sell.

I might get a Pentax K1 (full frame) which looks like it could be the Pentax replacement for the LX and I can use all my lenses.

Reply to
Andrew

I was curious to see if you can still get APS film - no; discontinued in 2011, although there are still labs who will print from them.

APS always seemed like a solution to a non-existent problem; a bit like the MiniDisk. The panorama mode was really rubbish, just a very severe crop of a single frame.

Reply to
Halmyre

Nope. Medium (6cm x 6cm)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Students

Someone needs to know why digital cameras make such a strange retro sound

and what is meant by 35mm Eguivilant when describing focal lengths.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The game is not worth the candle. You can now pick up a digital body that way outperforms a film camera for a couple of hundred, and a £100 lens today outperforms a £1000 one of 20 years ago.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Garbage in, Garbage out.

Idiots with digital SLRs dont bother think about what they are doing, theyjust blast away and then use a computer to select the pics they want and then have a fiddle with photoshop just for good measure.

Might just as well use an iPhone.

Reply to
Andrew

Utter bigoted tosh.