OT 35mm SLR camera

On Wednesday, 30 November 2016 16:52:36 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

:
rote:

op

ant

om

I do. What you say about prime lenes was true 40 years ago not so much now. Many zoom lenes on modern camera can easily out perform prime lenes, unless you pay a fortune for them and that is why prime lenes are more expensive and that fewer people use them.
The argumanet with the lieca as you compleletly missed it because again you donl;t know what you are talking about, is that using a standard fixed len s of that quality is better than using a telephoto because you can enlarge the image of a prime lens to a greater degree than a telephote especaully w hen yuo using a better quality sensor with a higher pixel count. That camera pretty much relies on you using a computer to edit and enlarge .

A prime lens of equal quality will always out perform a zoom.
Of course you can buy a rubbish zoom for less money than a good prime lens. Like with everything quality costs more.
--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *

On Thursday, 1 December 2016 16:25:05 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Same with any product it comes down to cost and quality. A prime lens is NOT always better than a zoom lens. Here;s a zoom lens by sony nearly £3.3k http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/sony/e-pz-18-110mm- f4-g-oss-lens-101835/show.html
and a prime lens by pentax £99 http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/pentax/smc-da-50mm- f-1-8-lens-88974/show.html
Nowerdays prime adn zoom can;t be compared like they did in the old days wi th manual grinding and finishing and men calculating the proposed specs.
One big advantage of digital is that you can download 'file's that correct distotions and 'error' a littel like a software patch .

Not just quality but named items can cost more even if the quality isn't as good.

Thanks for confirming you don't know what a prime lens is.
--
*The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up *

On Thursday, 1 December 2016 16:48:30 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I do you don't. The quallity of a lens isnlt down to whethe ror not it is prime. It's an advertisiong gimick to get peole, top spend more on a single lens than they might normally do.

Thanks for confirming you don't know what a prime lens is. Or know even the most basic optics.
--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

On 01/12/2016 16:38, whisky-dave wrote:

What makes you so certain that the zoom does out perform the 50mm lens?
Where is your comparison?
On 01/12/2016 16:38, whisky-dave wrote:

One is F4 and the other is F1.8. Chalk and Cheese.
This matters to some people and what they are trying to achieve.
Swaggering about with some male jewellry might be important to some people, but F1.8 is more useful, or even essential for certain situations.
The only advantage of a zoom on a digital camera is to avoid changing lenses if there is chance of getting dust on the sensor.

The Sony is a movie lens, the Pentax is for a DSLR with an APS-C sensor.
A movie lens has to be able to zoom without losing focus, not required for a DSLR.
--
"People don't buy Microsoft for quality, they buy it for compatibility
with what Bob in accounting bought last year. Trace it back - they buy
On 01/12/2016 20:32, Tim Streater wrote:

Its relatively easy to zoom without losing focus, even my cheapish olympus zooms maintain focus as you zoom (not the AF). What is difficult is other distortions that can change as you zoom. You don't notice them between stills but you would during a movie. They also need to be quiet and is nice not to rotate or change length while focusing/zooming.

Even with an expensive 'movie lens' zoom the prime equivalent is still noticeably better.
--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

On 01/12/2016 11:45, whisky-dave wrote:

Would you like to describe the difference between a telephoto and a prime lens?
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 17:01:41 UTC, dennis@home wrote:

Would it make any diffenrce because quality isn't the difernce . A prime lens is one of a single fixed focal length that's all. Doens;t mean the best thing since sliced bread that you think it does.
if yuo think it means theyve made it out of diamond or something ultra special then you are wrong.
On 01/12/2016 17:24, whisky-dave wrote:

Now do you want to describe what a telephoto lens is?

I am trying to see what you think is the difference as I know there isn't one. A telephoto lens can be prime and without the word zoom in it most photographers would assume it to be a prime.
Do you think prime means standard by any chance?
Next have a look at the construction of primes vs zooms and see if you can understand the big difference.
On Thursday, 1 December 2016 19:36:22 UTC, dennis@home wrote:

It;s just a lens that has a longer focal lengh than what is considered a 'standard lens. there is NO fixed figure for it. A telephoto can be a prime lens.

No I;'ve toil,d you before all it means is that it has a FIXED focal length, that's it.

construction has fuck all to do woth it. Get educated . http://gizmodo.com/5980162/olympus-officially-made-the-worst-lens-in-the-world
On 02/12/2016 10:45, whisky-dave wrote:

Where have you told us? I suspect you are just trying to convince others you actually did rather than googling it after it was mentioned by someone else.

You do understand that construction is everything? It determines just about everything you can create in your photograph. Its why "toy" lenses exist for artistic stuff and why video lenses exist, etc.

I sure couldn't get educated by anyone who has educated.

Worst for what? Lensbaby make lenses which produce less accurate images so are they worse?
On Friday, 2 December 2016 16:54:12 UTC, dennis@home wrote:

Go find it yourself.

I didn't need to google it. I've known what a prime lens simce the mid 70s. All it means is fixed focal length nothing more.

What do you mean by that.
Threr's no sperate name for them other than using ED glass or certain coating or gropuping element into gtoups , you do know that lendes are made of elements in groups they dont; usual;y refer to the elements as lenes like you appear to.

So the name doesn;t change unless yuo;re refer to bokeh or other type of out of focus highlights.

Taking good photos I assume now why is it that yuo still think prime lenesa are the best ? Best at what ?

Then just look at the contruction. If you think glass (or anything) has 100% perfect transmission of light, then it might be possible to make a zoom as good as a prime lens.
--
*HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE A CIVIL WAR?

On Friday, 2 December 2016 17:15:59 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It doesn't matter.

It is possible and many zoom lenes are far better than prime lenses today.
Like yuor lighting setip from teh 70s prime like prime steak meant something to the unwashed today ot means very little. Lenses are designed on computer so they can have more and more element in any number of groups to improve the overall quality, now it's just down to price. We're no longer in the days when zooms were heavy, crap, slow and producted distorted images have pretty much gone unless yuo insist on buying them in ASDA.
On 05/12/2016 10:26, whisky-dave wrote:

I'd like to see someone come up with a design for a zoom where its fully colour corrected at all focal lengths as it would be impossible with any glass or plastic you can use for lenses.
It is difficult but not impossible for a prime.
You need to read up on refraction to understand.