OT 35mm SLR camera

Yes. And a tourist with Leica binos is obviously going to be a generous tipper. I had a couple of Leicas many years ago. I remember the build quality of the M4-P in particular was out of this world.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Rubbish, I used to use a Canon EOS 10D digital SLR. Took it to a race t= rack and shot 3000 photos in one day, just held the button down and chas= ed the bikes as they flew past. Got home and found the best of each one= .

It took this sort of thing:

ng%2017.jpg?dl=3D0

-- =

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's intolerance.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

"Graham." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I realise that - but only the generation that used 35mm SLRs will be able to visualise the effect of the lens. It is a reference to an out of date "standard".

Yes I can usually spell - equivalent

Reply to
DerbyBorn

So is horsepower

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Partly true but you have to apply the push process to the whole film whereas with digital the 1st picture can be at 80 ISO and the next can be at 6400 ISO and the next can be 400 ISO.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No need to do that, use a "film leader retriever"eg:

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Are yuo sure he was using it ? Because I;ve done that rather than unmount the flash and put it back in the bag for 5 mins just push the head up gives you a better balance and if you r taking pictutres of peole they are less conceerned at a bright flash of l ight so tend not to blink as much or have 'concerned expression like some d o when they are about to be flashed at by a bright light.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Nifty...

Reply to
John Rumm

Ever tried using one ? Not as good as they sound.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Nope, never seen one before.

I think I have only ever needed to retrieve an end for reloading a file a couple of times anyway.

(I used to do my own film processing, but for that I just needed to pop the end off the can and load the film onto a spiral).

Reply to
John Rumm

What tosh! I use all the skills I learnt in the film days when I use my digital SLR.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

And a few more but you don't ever need to learn them on a film camera. Its also not easier to learn them on a film camera.

About the only thing you need film for is learning darkroom techniques and that isn't how to take a picture.

Reply to
dennis

All of them? With film, you had to take into account the type of film in use. With a digital camera, you can't change the sensor the image falls on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can change the effective ISO. Things like saturation and grain you can alter in post processing. So it still helps to understand the relationship between aperture, shutter speed, and film (or sensor) sensitivity.

Reply to
John Rumm

What problems did you have?

20 years ago when I regularly changed between 100 ASA colour, 400 ASA colour and 800 ASA black and white films (as I could only afford one camera body) I found it was straight forward. I used the 100 ASA for highest quality in good light, 400 ASA for interiors particularly where tripods weren't allowed or if there was artificial lighting so I had to use colour correction filters which would reduce the light by at least one stop and 800 B&W as a last resort!

One thing you must remember is to keep a note of the number of the last exposure before removing the film and when putting it back winding on to leave a blank exposure before the next one as you couldn't guarantee that when replaced it would wind on exactly as previously.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Yes. A throwback to film days. It should have been binned, and a new term used.

True.

You need to understand the optical side. Because that hasn't changed at all. The way the sensor reacts - between film and electronic - is different. And trying to use one set of rules for both is not the best way.

And isn't new. The same sort of differences were apparent from the start of live TV, using electronic cameras.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They've been about years I had one that didnlt work back in the early 1970s when I was bulk loading HP3 and HP4

Me too I usually popped the casstte open rather than drag the film through the 'gate' yet again.

Yes I used to do 35mm 120 roll black & white slide film (from negs) and cibrachrome, those were the smells and fizzes or real chemicals not pallette brushes on photoshop just isn't the same. :)

Reply to
whisky-dave

So you admit that you did exactly what I described above rather than use the correct technique that professional photographers used back in the key day of film.

Why not just buy a video recorder ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Actually, I know someone who did the above with film. Bloody expensive, but if you're selling the shots, you want the best.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Standard press photographer behaviour for several decades for fast sports and for photocalls with politicians and royalty, where they want the most unflattering or the cutest photo of the royal toddler.

I remember my grandpa had a friend who died some time in the late 60s and who had been a press photographer for a local paper in his younger days. Even that far back he was bemoaning how the youngsters took loads of photos at football matches in the hope that some would be timed correctly, whereas when he was a lad he was given three glass plates to take three photos of a match, and all of them had to good 'uns. Tall order if you've already taken your three good photos and something dramatic happens in the last few minutes of play :-)

Obviously there's a happy medium, but with digital it costs nothing to take a lot of photos on or about the right timing, without having to be spot on every time.

Reply to
NY