Online Video Door Bell with 2 way audio

Thinking of fitting one of these so that I can take care of important, but frustratingly difficult to schedule, deliveries, i.e. send them to a truste d neighbour (having wasted whole half days just waiting in!) and also to fi lter out time wasters who are 'conducting a survey' etc etc.

I'm thinking specifically of one which uses an smartphone app so that I can be online anywhere in the world but can talk to the caller and similarly s o can SWMBO aswell on her smartphone.

Also seems a great way of deterring speculative burglars and other undesria bles like trick or treaters.

Has anyone a model or system they can recommend?

Reply to
simon mitchelmore

Ring Video Doorbell ...I'm out

Techmoan makes a point that if used indiscreetly, you'll be shouting out to the whole street you are currently not in the house. Also ringing delays, power issues, and false alarms will need looking at.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Quite. You might as well stick a note on the door saying 'deliver to next door' or whatever.

I've seen them advertised and think 'when and where would that be of use to me'. And not come up with an answer. Same as Hive.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ring doorbell is very poor. It depends on a high upload speed being available but IME loses the first 10 seconds of most events so you get a view of the caller leaving but not arriving. The Ring servers are also very slow and some events, it loses altogether. Read the reviews on Amazon.com.

Reply to
Capitol

Today I've been mucking about with a teamviewer link used over a mobile phone to view a desktop PC showing live CCTV images. Works really well and hardly any lag to really worry about. Nothing at all to configure at the router, and free to use (except mobile broadband costs).

So this hardware thing can be very cheaply built from a raspberry pi and the pi camera. Share the desktop via teamviewer and add a trigger connection to the doorbell with also audio connections.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Thanks, thats just the sort of info I was seeking, what they dont tell you on the Ring promotional stuff, £150 saved!

Reply to
simon mitchelmore