Extending audio / video feeds ..?

Hi All,

If one wanted to extend (say) the composite video and l/r audio signals from (say) a DVD player to a screen in another area (about 7m as the cable runs .. and assuming one doesn't need planning permission or Part P Annex A ("Re-wiring audio equipment in yer own home")) what would be the best cable to use for the least losses / issues please?

I believe the video needs a ~75 ohm co-ax and I'm also aware some of the 'better' cables can get quite big but this cable needs to terminate in a basic phono connector? It will probably be 'lost' in the floorspace / trunking down an internal wall ..

Would the L/R audio leads *ideally* need to be individually screened (to prevent xtalk) and if so do they do a 'Figure-of-eight' cable (video+2 x audio) that would give decent specs and still keep the audio cables separate (assuming that matters etc)?

The audio cct is yer typical 1V p'p 'Aux' type role (ie not phono etc).

I don't need made-up-leads so stuff off a roll would be ideal?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Might be worth trying something like this

?ViewItem&item=9705976575to see if it's good enough.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I used standard phono cables (x3) with adaptors either end for scart. This worked an absolute treat (about 15m of cable, all told) - picture was very good, as well but YMMV - it was only on a 14" philips TV, not a larger or better quality TV that might show up any imperfections.

Still, it worked for me.

Reply to
justcalledfubar

A lot depends on the phono connector; you can get "professional" ones

Something like RG59B/U / Belden 8241 (Maplin XS52G) would probably be suitable. 6mm O/D so would need a suitable phono plug, perhaps Maplin JU06G

Ideally individually screened, figure-8 audio cables readily available, eg Maplin XS93B, XS39N, XR21X,

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Well you can't go wrong with the price .. unless you have to drag it all out again that is? ;-(

But if someone has used said (later reply) and it worked then maybe we will be ok ..?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Wow, thanks for that fella ;-)

I suppose the solid core would be ok for the static 'stuck on the floorspace' runs but for the ends shouldn't it really be stranded (I assume you can get it like that) for flexibility ..?

Quite a selection there!

And all less than 7mm od so will go in the fancy phono connectors ;-)

I suppose environmental noise (electrical and audible), the quality of the overall equipment and the accuracy of the ear of the listener will all also play a part ..?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

that would do fine. FWIW it would be carrying a signal of around

1/100th the frequency its designed to carry.

no need, more marketing than anything.

I'd use one piece of flex, stranded, rather than join them. Solid core would do if rarely moved, but not ideal.

Any of the mid range figure of 8 twin screened would be ok, avoid the bottom price very thin stuff. And avoid oversized things. 4mm or 5mm o/d per each half of the figure of 8 will be fine.

not really, the cables mentioned here are way above the spec where they would make any effect on the sound.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Why, how often will you be moving it?

Although to be honest in a domestic environment you could probably use some phone cable and it wouldn't make much difference.

You're wiring your lounge up, not a BBC regional transmission suite. I leave it to you to decide whether this determines quality or economy of approach.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Good point, however if there was a standed equiv with the same spec wouldn't it be prudent to use it?

Quite possibly .. ;-)

Well that's just me I suppose ... If I have a choice between say 5 quid and a 'suck it and see' solution or 15 and 'that's the dogs' I'd invest the extra tenner rather than face either suffering the compromise or the work ripping it out and starting again?

If the alternative was 100 pounds then I would have to think very hard .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes, it would be a right pain to spend £100 and then find yourself sucking the dog's ... ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

the twin audio coax should be around 20-30p/metre retail

NT

Reply to
meow2222