Old tools

Right. So when using a hand screwdriver, as presumably you must have done at some time or other in the past, you stopped turning the handle immediately the screwhead met the workpiece, did you ?
You never felt tempted at any time, maybe, to just give the screwdriver another quarter or half turn just to drive it fully home ?
Of course maybe you didn't. Which might help explain a lot of things.
Same as with all those stripped screwheads, maybe.
michael adams

They were very popular on DIY telly progs many years ago. Barry Buckler?
But of course he was pumping screws into prepared holes. ;-)
I worked in TV and they were also popular with the scenery construction crews. I'm told injuries dropped considerably when they changed from slotted to Pozi screws...
--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

Barry Bucknell. The house he renovated is still there, and the nameplate though rather worn with time is still there as well. Or at least was a few months ago. ISTR bits of the old programmes are on Youtube Bucknell stood accused by some of persuading viewers to ruin any number of exquisite Victorian panelled doors by covering them with tacky hardboard, ripping out fireplaces etc.

He probably wielded an electric drill as well.

Providing you kept one hand on the chuck there should be no injuries. Slippages maybe.Pozi and Phillips were/are more efficient as all the power is being directed towards the centre of the screw rather than across a slot.
michael adams
On Thursday, 18 May 2017 16:04:41 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:

Now I know you're just clueless.

As were all those scenery construction crews, according to you.
Now please kindly explain how you used to drive screws with your hand drill.
michael adams
On Thursday, 18 May 2017 16:43:22 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:

strange, I don't recall claiming that.

I used a mains drill. It doesn't surprise me now that you don't know how.
NT

Sorry mate I wasn't aware of your condition.
You see you posted the above statement, the second one, not so long ago and you already seem to have forgotten.
Never mind all the other things you must have forgotten as well.
So I'm not sure there's much more I can do here, really.
michael adams

Probably, I have one but I only have pozi bits for it. I haven't used it for at least a decade.
On Thursday, 18 May 2017 16:24:29 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

Oh surely. I hate slotted screws and refuse to go back to using them. They were a curse.
NT

I buy torx in preference to others these days.

Could you clarify what you men by hand drill?
One of these :
http://amzn.eu/fJlNYoS

Or by "hand drill" do you mean a hand held mains electric drill?
(just I have never heard anyone suggest that a hand drill would be at all useful for screw driving)
--
Cheers,

John.
On Friday, 19 May 2017 00:27:34 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

yes

no the hand drill was for drilling & occasionally filing. Mains for screws.
NT
On Wednesday, 17 May 2017 14:45:03 UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:

I'm familiar with silver & gold(ish), not seen black though.
NT

Seen silver, gold, white, orange and blue. Mine is not far off Makita blue back plastic, with a metal gearbox in silver on the front.
--
Cheers,

John.

My dad had a Stanley Bridges and I had a Wolf....
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
On 19/05/2017 17:01, TMH wrote:

ISTR my Makita 18V combi is made in the UK
--
Cheers,

John.
John Rumm wrote:

<consults album of serial number stickers for insurance purposes>
Not all my Makita tools says where they were made, the ones that do say "UK" are
    belt sander     orbital sander     circular saw     planer

Which bits of it? ;-)
--
*You're never too old to learn something stupid.

The pozi and slotted ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

Thinking about it, there is a photo somewhere... ah:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:MakitaDrillMadeInUK.jpg
--
Cheers,

John.