Old tools

So which did you use ?
The mains drill which left the Yankee "for dead" or the manual screwdriver because the bit was "falling off repeatedly?
michael adams

<gross snippage >

So you're the first one mention "age", but I'm the one who's introduced an "ageist dimension" . I see.
<gross snippage >

presumably to include anyone who hasn't attempted to bash home screws with their fists, or head butted them home with a cold chisel

You left out being a Green or a Leftie.
So I win.
michael adams

A "fad" concerning a durable item which remained in continuous production for 108 years. From their introduction by North Brothers in 1899 in the US until 2007 when production was finally closed down in the UK.
michael adams
On 23/05/17 15:06, michael adams wrote:

They may have been useful for some things, but not once electric motors arrived

They were always much cheaper and easier to produce, than electrically powered tools.
Which is why they especially came into their own, where there was abundant labour available but insufficient tooling as in wartime production in WW2.
They've probably always found a use in places around the world with abundant labour available and but low capital investment. Not specifically Yankees but locally produced tools of similar design.
We're arguing in circles as before the advent of powered screwdrivers with torque clutches, for the average user at least there was no quicker way of driving screws.
michael adams
@ukonline.co.uk says...

Even faster if you did it the Barry Bucknell way where it was obvious that all the screws were being driven home for the second time ...
--

Terry

Yes. And, of course, the type of timber the screw is being driven into.
--
*Be more or less specific *

*Everything* you see on TV is being "fiddled" in some manner.
--
I don't have an attitude problem. If you have a problem with my
attitude, that's your problem.

Yes. Especially the moon landing a few years back. All filmed on a backlot in Hollywood.

They were used on site by chippies for many years after the first battery drills arrived. Mainly due to the lack of run time as chippies needed to put in thousands of screws but they were also somewhat faster than early cordless drills and could do longer screws as they had more torque.
I don't expect you to agree as you are the expert in everything.
On Monday, 22 May 2017 15:51:29 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:

enough so you

you have,

nse, manual

ou want

ivers".

on

ctric drill.

! "

some degree of

nd

Lol. You're an amusing idiot. You've never even tried to do it, yet you ima gine you know more than those of us that have done it. You think screwdrivi ng bits didn't exist when they did. Yankee screwdriver bits came to England in large numbers in the 40s. I used cheap wood handled screwdrivers at fir st, just take the handle off, then moved over to hex bits. You think you kn ow where we're coming from despite having never bothered to spend the time on this newsgroup to find out. You're too stupid to know you're stupid.
Oh, and back then you could buy way more hazardous things in shops. Few peo ple cared. Conc acids, explosives, lawn darts, bowl heaters, no end of chem icals, a very long list of stuff.
There are 3 types of moron that visit this group. The first hasn't got a cl ue and knows it, and can learn some. The 2nd type is like Rod & Dr Evil, th ink they know it all but are lost some place. Then there are the ones like you. You're too stupid to figure out even quite basic things, and absolutel y convinced that everyone else must be every bit as stupid as you are. No d emonstration ever penetrates that layer of idiocy and wakes you up. I'm gra teful not to share your mindset.
NT

On Monday, 22 May 2017 20:40:03 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:

... Not one single thing penetrated his layer of idiocy. It never will.

So which did you use ? A mains drill or a manual screwdriver ?
What's the point of being such an expert if you refuse to share your knowledge with anyone else ?
michael adams
..

Whereas you consider yourself oh so clever.
So much more clever than all those stupid people, who on your own admission above, have been using Yankee screwdrivers since the 1940's.
If you're deliberately setting out to make yourself look stupid, it must be admitted that you're doing a pretty good job of it.
michael adams
On Monday, 22 May 2017 20:51:14 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:

welcome to the moron & troll filter.
On 22/05/2017 15:51, michael adams wrote:

I found for large difficult screws, the B&D was actually usable. (the speed is not that much more than my 18V Makita flat out in low gear)
I put it in low gear and took one of the bits from my impact driver (not the modern equivalent - but the thing you clomp with a hammer).
It had limitations (i.e. no reverse or variable speed for starters), but would stick a screw in.

You see that one, second from the left on the top:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/9/9f/ManualImpactDriver.jpg
That's the actual bit I used in my 2 speed B&D drill when sticking some 3" screws into masonry for some hefty speaker brackets in the late 80s.
Not a technique I would use on delicate stuff, but on large screws it was quite viable. You use much the same control as you do with a modern impact driver - i.e. let go of the trigger when the screw in in far enough. (or tighten the last bit by hand if you don't want to risk over doing it)

I did it to... So which am I, idiot or liar?
--
Cheers,

John.

michael adams
On 22/05/2017 21:10, michael adams wrote:

--
Cheers,

John.

Not to TNP to whom that response was directed. Who in a previous post claimed to be unfamiliar with the application of the term "Yankee".
I never suggested that NT didn't have access to Yankee bits - he actually owned yankee screwdrivers - only that his insistance that
Driving such bits using a power drill was superior to using a Yankee pump action screwdriver for the same job. Thereby implying that all the thousands of people who'd been satisfactorily using Yankee Screwdrivers for that very function for years, were somehow stupid or deficient.
Whereas the fault more likely lay in NTs inability to gain proficiency in using a Yankee screwdriver.
It really is that simple.

It can't compare with using a Yankee for the same job for the reasons given. That's the point. The need for potentially two tool operations. A drill and a possibly a hand screwdriver to finish off. An option I've recognised right from the off. I'm not talking one or two screws here, but between say one or two hundred screws in boarding out a loft; as I quoted in my first post on this topic.
michael adams