LLoyds shares

since they're going on sale, anybody know where you can buy some at the opening price ?

Googling "Lloyds shares" returns pages of results all leading to Lloyds share-dealing services. Which is not what I wanted (and highlights the brokenness of Google).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Well any stockbroker online or otherwise, or your bank perhaps?

Currently trading at 71.73p (buy)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They're already out there are they not? I had some "free" ones years ago when they took over HBOS or whatever it was because I had a mortgage with them. Is this some other section of Lloyds that's being divided up?

www.GymRatZ.co.uk

NatWest sold some shares for me but that was some years ago and I was a customer. I would assume they still do them.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think you may have misunderstood. There is no big 'Llyods share sale'. The Government decided to sell them off in dribs and drabs to get a better price, and they've just sold the last ones. There are now all out in the market, so any stockbroker can cut you a deal.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah, thanks ...

You can tell I remember the 80s :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Or the poor understanding of search engines by the foke selling shares.. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

or the stupidity of a person entering 'LLoyds shares' when what they wanted was a general stockbroker.

What is so specific about Lloyds shares? Nothing.

So we have person who starts from a false premise - that lloyds shares are suddenly available when they weren't yesterday, and a second false premise, that they are actually worth buying, and then ends up in confusion because he is labouring under the delusion that lloyds shares are in any way sufficiently special to warrant an internet entry of their own.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was going to say that, you beat me to it!

Reply to
newshound

Any one know just how much government coffers lost on the deal overall?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

According to the FT, the government made £500M profit on the deal overall.

* But whether that's just on the money we put in initially (£20.3bn), or whether that includes the £3.6bn paid in interest on the bail-out, isn't entirely clear. But the bank?s chief executive, António Horta-Osório, told last week?s annual general meeting that the government would make at least £500m from its investment in Lloyds. BHWSTWH.

*it's odd how when you first hit on a web site, having found it on Google, you get the full page, but when testing the tinyurl, all you get is a paywall. Here's the direct link, which may work OK first time around
Chris Hogg

They apparently gained about £500m, although I suspect that ignores interest.

Reply to
Bob Eager

For Lloyds? -£900million or so apparently (note the - sign).

Reply to
Tim Streater

Is that the government _losing_ -£900m, i.e. gaining £900m (double negative etc) :-)

Where'd you see that?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yes

Quote:

"At last week's annual meeting, Lloyds chief executive António Horta Osorio told shareholders he expected the government to make at least £500m from the bailout.

"But on Wednesday morning he said the true figure was closer to £900m and called Lloyds one of the "strongest banks" in the world."

Tim Streater

Even better. I'm sure DP will be delighted at Mr Brown's far-sighted investment! I expect Mr Corbyn will point to it as an example of what can be achieved by nationalisation.

Shame about RBS though.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Reply to
bert

In message , bert writes

I am not an economist:-) Surely to break even *pound spent wise* implies a net loss because the purchase value of the money used in 2008 would have been greater than today?

Reply to
Tim Lamb