Old tools

So you're the first one mention "age", but I'm the one who's introduced an "ageist dimension" . I see.

presumably to include anyone who hasn't attempted to bash home screws with their fists, or head butted them home with a cold chisel

You left out being a Green or a Leftie.

So I win.

michael adams

michael adams

So you're saying weren't responsible for the following two posts ?

So which did you use ?

The mains drill which left the Yankee "for dead" or the manual screwdriver because the bit was "falling off repeatedly?

michael adams

michael adams

A "fad" concerning a durable item which remained in continuous production for 108 years. From their introduction by North Brothers in 1899 in the US until 2007 when production was finally closed down in the UK.

michael adams

michael adams

They may have been useful for some things, but not once electric motors arrived

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They were always much cheaper and easier to produce, than electrically powered tools.

Which is why they especially came into their own, where there was abundant labour available but insufficient tooling as in wartime production in WW2.

They've probably always found a use in places around the world with abundant labour available and but low capital investment. Not specifically Yankees but locally produced tools of similar design.

We're arguing in circles as before the advent of powered screwdrivers with torque clutches, for the average user at least there was no quicker way of driving screws.

michael adams

michael adams

They were used on site by chippies for many years after the first battery drills arrived. Mainly due to the lack of run time as chippies needed to put in thousands of screws but they were also somewhat faster than early cordless drills and could do longer screws as they had more torque.

I don't expect you to agree as you are the expert in everything.

Reply to
dennis

Even faster if you did it the Barry Bucknell way where it was obvious that all the screws were being driven home for the second time ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

Yes. And, of course, the type of timber the screw is being driven into.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

*Everything* you see on TV is being "fiddled" in some manner.
Reply to
Huge

Yes. Especially the moon landing a few years back. All filmed on a backlot in Hollywood.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)