electric motors in Black & Decker tools= CRAP

The brushes in their motors are not spring loaded and do not slide in a secure housing. They are poorly attached to flimsy, thin metal posts which rust. In 2 to 3 years the posts rust through and fall off INTO THE MOTOR!

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
misterfact

In my house, a B & D tool would last 25 years or more. I won't use them. You should not either. You got exactly what you paid for. Simple homeowner quality at best and sells at a Wal Mart price. Consider it a lesson learned.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I had a B&D worm drive circular saw which looks like the Skill 77 and its was great. The "professional" electric miter saw was good as well. B&D workmate table is a life saver. But my B&D drill lasted only a few hours, I think most of the homeowner line of B&D tools are junk.

Reply to
# Fred #

All built to a price point. I doubt that Joe Sixpack is gonna spring for a Bosch or Porter Cable (for example) drill when he has to drill a couple of holes to hang the talking fish.

Thank God for choice.

BTW, I choose Porter Cable, Bosch and Milwaukee for most of my own hand held power tools. So should you if you want a tool to last a while.

Reply to
George Max

May in fact be true for some of their products, perhaps more likely for more recent manufacture, but I have a 3/8 B&D drill over 25 years old that is still going strong and only recently had to retire a B&D

3X21 belt sander that was at least 20 years old. And that was because SWMBO was using it and didn't realize that the belt running off track and cutting into the inboard side of the tool body was not normal operation.
Reply to
lwasserm

Thu, Dec 21, 2006, 12:08pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com doth claimeth: The brushes in their motors are not spring loaded and do not slide in a secure housing. They are poorly attached to flimsy, thin metal posts which rust. In 2 to 3 years the posts rust through and fall off INTO THE MOTOR!

Shucks. I guess this means I'll have to stop using my circular saw, the one I got in about 1975. And the sabre saw my son bought me about 5 years ago, when the one I bought at about the same time I got my circular saw died. And the drill I got along with the circular saw and sabre saw. And the sander I got in probably about 1996. And the other B&D tools I've accumulated along the way and have had for years, and all still work. Next thing you know someone's gonna come along and tell me the Craftsman router I've been using for 5-6 years won't last for more than 2-3 years.

JOAT Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.

- Eric Hoffer

Reply to
J T

And I'll have to toss my "VersaPak" drill and driver. Darn. Despite the fact that they work just fine for many odd doings around the house, whether or not used in concert with my 14.4v PC or ac tools.

Stupid generalizations are just that.

barry

25+ years ago B & D was a respected name in the tool business. They lost that probably 15 or 20 years ago when they went with the high volume, cheap priced consumer quality tools that sell in the discount stores. They sold out to the high volume bean counters.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The solution is simple. Next time you consider buying a B&D tool with an electric motor in it- take a phillips screwdriver with you and tell the salesman you'd like to simply take the top plastic housing off and inspect the motor.

If the salesman says, "NO" , then tells you it comes with a "quality"

90- day guarantee ! ; that ought to tell you something!.

If it comes with a 2 year guarantee- that means that 50% of the motors will break apart before the 2 years is up; of that 50%- half the owners will have lost their purchase receipt; one fourth of them will not make the effort to return it to the store; and the final fourth will take it back to the store- an expense that B&D can cover, considering how many suckers they can sell to.

The same goes for other products that don't have a QUALITY warranty like: Timex watches; can openers made in China sold at THE DOLLAR STORE and SATURN CARS (especially used ones driven with TLC)

Reply to
misterfact

Yeah - it ought to tell you that the salesman is smarter than the idiot who expects he can bring a screwdriver in to open up the case of a brand new tool. I can't imagine any retailer allowing you to randomly open up the cases on any Milwaukee tool or any other quality tool, just so you can inspect the motor.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yep, you're right. Nowdays, they are crap for the most part. It's a lesson we all have to learn in life. When you buy a cheap tool, sometimes you get crap.

I had a B+D drill die after using it for about a cummulative 2.5 hours. This was 12 years ago. The motor got so hot that you could actually smell the insides start to melt/burn.. Unfortunately, I didn't have the packaging or receipt, so the bastards got away with it. They haven't gotten a cent from me since though.

Reply to
bf

O.K. then buy it; keep the receipt; then take it apart in your car and inspect it. When you see that the motor brush assembly is a piece of crap, put it back together and take it to the return dept.and tell them you bought a piece of crap and would like to get your money back. (don't tell them you took it apart)Then buy a good product. Chances are that even if you re-assembled it wrong- it would still be in better shape than it came from the BLACK & DECKER factory !!!

Reply to
misterfact

The last part of your statement - though it was intended to be tongue in cheek is likely to be the most unfortunate truth of the matter. Ok, so that was a bit tongue in cheek as well. I'd just stay away from the tool in the first place. Saves the time of having to look at it, get frustrated by it, and the sense of pissed-at-self that accompanies having to back out to buy the real deal. I do buy a fair amount of cheap stuff - depending on what the item is, but there are some cheap things that I won't go near based on experiences. Low end power tools as we're discussing here fall into that category. To me, people who buy Black & Decker really have no complaint with their quality. It's low end stuff that has unfortunately sunk to the level of use it and throw it away junk. Such a shame too, since at one time they really did produce some good tools.

Reply to
Mike Marlow