NTL/Virgin Media broadband SNAFU

For an uncapped up to 8mb connection ( BB option 3 )I get nearly the full eight during the daytime and most evenings around six and a half with BY I was on a 4mb connection getting 3 daytime and 2 during evening time. With BT I now get the speeds stated plus the hub phone service plus 240 minutes BT openzone a month which I can use with the laptop at any hotspot in the country and all for a couple of quid more than I was paying teleWORST . I am most surprised that Richard Branston has allowed his name to be linked to crap companies like Blueyonder & NTL .

Reply to
J Clavox

I wonder who dreamed up such stupid names for Internet and TV packages could it have been Alex Brown or Fergal Butler perhaps ? .

Reply to
J Clavox

There is an old saying " if the cap fits wear it "

Reply to
J Clavox

Preston .

Reply to
J Clavox

Right at the bottom and on top of Orange... FX> me strokes imaginary beard

Reply to
Phil L

think about ratings in bands, with a group clustered at the bottom then!

Certainly dslzoneuk.net has some colour bands and while some ISPs may be deservedly in high or low positions, some results seem quite strange.

Reply to
NoNeedToKnow

management

support

ratings

Cable will always be better than ADSL.

Reply to
harrogate3

No it won't with cable you need to have thick ugly cable running round the house with adsl you don't I have spent the afternoon ripping out blueyonders cable .

Reply to
J Clavox

In theory, yes. But along came BE*

Reply to
Gonz

Guy King wrote: > Took nearly six months for them to fix an crackly line when I had

Must be coming up four years since our NTL phone line died. Never got an answer when we tried to report it and we never used it anyway....

Reply to
Rod

You must live in the wrong area.

When I complained of intermittent picture freezing they came within 24 hours, changed the box, and when that didn't cure it came back within

2 days and replaced the feed cable from the local distribution box to my house.

The fact that they replaced like with like (the first time) because they hadn't been told it needed thicker cable didn't come into it. Nor did the fact that the signal was then too high and the tech had to fit an attenuator!!

Reply to
harrogate3

Hi

I have > Virgin Media have just taken over my broadband Internet service from

Nothing has changed in the infrastructure since the rebrand so it is more likely to be a problem with your PC

There is no chance of this being caused by your ISP.

Probably being caused by whatever is causing your problem above.

Again, nothing to do with your ISP.

Again, related to your problem above. You don't have to use the webmail - it's optional. There is nothing stopping you from continuing to use your existing outlook settings (apart from whatever problem it is you have with your PC)

Changing to BT won't fix your broken computer. I suspect you either have a virus, an infestation of spyware, or some other problem with your hardware.

Just call customer services and asked for a phonebook entry...

Just call customer services and have it switched on...

They won't really be able to help you anyway. You need to get to the bottom of the problems with your computer. Try visiting

- there are some very helpful people on there including a few guys who will help you run a scan of your computer and identify any malicious software on there.

Regards,

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

Fair enough. He said ".. At least I am getting what I am paying for now" so I took that to mean that he was not getting what he paid for before and extrapolated from there.

I should have asked him to qualify his statement. If he will do so now, I'll comment again when the facts are in.

Reply to
Carl Waring

In article , harrogate3 of snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com, felt we'd be interested in the following...

So what you are saying is, they didn't have a clue...

Reply to
Tx2

If the investment which they started to put into cable had been ongoing it could have been a lot better than BTs, but what with the ongoing cash flow problems (just how could they afford to buy Virgins name??) & the total disregard of the local loop, in many areas the Cable Co's local loop is inferior to BT/Openreach.

What is the standard way for a cable co contractor to open a local PCP....use a spade & demolish it, at least BT supplies all their contractors (& staff) with the correct 'keys'.

Amen to that as well, mind you I have reconfigured the cable co cables on my house & they are partially used to feed the 2 main FM radios & partially to carry the SKY 'Magic Eye' link from one part of the building to another whilst the rest has been removed & disconnected (even the line which was still working 3 years after I cancelled it...

Reply to
kraftee

Just how could they afford to send round the glossy flyer to everyone in recent weeks most which will have gone straight in the bin mine went in a special black sack which when it is full of their rubbish it will be taken to their offices only three miles away and empted out onto the floor in reception . I am sick of telling them not to send their rubbish here .

BT leave their cable in former customers houses also but it is not obtrusive like the cable from TW, the lady in cancellations told me I could keep the modem and do what I wanted with it so I did it met up with a big hammer and went into the bin .

Reply to
J Clavox

Sorry Ron, I can't take any credit for the names being used.

Alas I'm not gifted with your creative skills for creating new names, which you have exhibited so well over the years.

I like your new one: 'J Clavox'. It's much better than 'Dexter' or 'M.Dexter' or 'Tony Dane' or......

It's sad that after all these efforts you continue to remain the one and only Ron Chew who still owes Neil McRae a fiver. :-)

Reply to
Fergal Butler

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:43:46 GMT, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Fergal Butler:

In this case, Virginmedia has not even answered a few questions that I recently put to them. And I am fed up with my cable modem constantly going out of SYNC so I have to unplug the power and wait three minutes before it eventually starts working again.

I'm going to cancel my NTL broadband very soon unless you get your act together.

Reply to
Alex Buell

Then if their company aren't blocking premium rate lines then THEY need their heads read.

Reply to
Dom Robinson

We just have to make sure that someone follows up and quotes each of his posts, to defeat his X-No-Archive header...

Reply to
Bob Eager