Virgin Media local telephones status?

I have been speaking to Virgin Media Customer Service and to VM complaints this morning, using BT POTS at my end. I understand that there is a local (I am in KT3, New Malden) telephone system fault which at present is occupying all their available engineers, so they cannot at present consider the telephone part of the complaint - that is reasonable.

Usenet uk.telecom and uk.telecom.moderate, on Google Group, appear to be effectively inoperable.

Does anyone here know anything about the current status of VM phones in KT3??.

Reply to
Dr S Lartius

Yes, spammers posted stolen credit card details via google groups, so google blocked the group.

Unfortunately google themselves don't understand the difference between usenet and a google group, so they insist "the administrator" of the group needs to contact them to get it unblocked, I think various people have tried, failed and given up trying to convince them usenet doesn't have "an administrator" ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Its working in Chessington, but there are a lot of road works going on down in New Malden so its anyones guess. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Cannot get the staff who have long enough memories. I would always use a client if you can. Google is a mess at the best of times. They should never have been allowed to add usenet. They bought out Deja did they not, promising a huge back archive.

Maybe somebody in the main usenet admin would like to get onto Google and tell them where to stuff their portal? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The UK Usenet Committee have been in contact with Google Groups, but no-one at Google Groups knew anyone who knew anything about Usenet.

We did find an old post from Larry Page, but I don't think he answers support requests any more.

I did point out that the uk.telecom archive is a particularly valuable record, as it holds discussion of contempraneous matters that predate the Web and are unlikely to be archived anywhere else.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Google's usenet archive is a significant asset but they don't know how to use it to their advantage, and don't even understand all the basics of it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Is there money in it ?????