OT; Virgin Media service.

Modem died on Monday PM, part of the telly/landline/internet package. Modem

10-12 years old?

Called Virgin Media around 7pm. Guy said he would send a new modem FOC, it would take 3 days to arrive. It arrived today, took 5 mins to install following the idiot guide supplied.

Not even charging me for the time I was off line.

I call that excellent after sales service.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In article , The Medway Handyman scribeth thus

Is that one of the little Blue ones there very good:)

Yep there're not half as bad as people make them out to be, and the 10 meg service what I pay for is what I get:)

Unlike the Bizz ADSL where we're paying for 8 but rarely get that;(..

Reply to
tony sayer

Exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis.

Reply to
Graham.

I had a very similar experience with VM a few months back.

I find it quite interesting that we have been so conditioned by poor service that we tend to comment when we get the sort of service we always hope for?!!

Some years ago when I moved from NTL dial-up to their Broadband, the installer gave me his mobile number and said to call him if I had any problems in the first couple of weeks and thereafter gave me a freephone number to bypass the high charging helpline for free.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Retired church friend had a problem with her VM dsl a couple of weeks back. She called VM "Oh, we are planning on changing your modem anyway next month as part of the upgrade to higher speed broadband, we'll not do anything until then" So she's without mail and broadband for the best part of a month. I was disgusted.

Reply to
OG

When I did the same about 3 years ago, now, I had to have a new e-mail address with the promise that they would transfer my original one as well. Well.....despite numerous calls to India and promises nothing has been done about it!

Reply to
Clot

I've had few problems with their service. As long as I can contact a UK support person it seems to work out well (one problem resulting in an overseas support person resetting my modem to the minimum speed, which didn't cure the intermittent problem either -- managing to contact Swansea sorted it with a refund to boot). However, since a recent resegmentation I haven't got more than 6.7meg on the 10 meg service, where I got 10 meg fairly consistently out of peak hours.

For the distance I am from the exchange I doubt if I'd get 2 meg. It is a fundamentally flawed system IMO.

Reply to
<me9

Probably because she rang the cable company support instead of the DSL side and they assumed she was talking about a cable modem and not a DSL modem. The two never meet and do not talk the same language.

Reply to
EricP

It could almost sound like you think that's her fault!

Reply to
OG

Ah, there is the mistake in my experience. Ringing VM can be a bit of a lottery...

I have however (as have friends) found that contacting them via their support usenet newsgroup (admittedly requires your VM line to be working - or borrow a neighbours :)) or via their twitter address to be fantastic.

You get a real person not just some call centre script reading droid and they all seem to be uk based (in fact, they appear to share an office).

(the latter will often require you to have at least attempting to ring CS first though :))

Exactly the sort of thing to tweet at VM - poor service from CS tends to get followed up effectively on there.

Darren

Reply to
dmc

"OG" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Hold on one mo...

If she's on DSL, why doesn't she just go out and buy a bog standard DSL modem/router? £30 or so for a cheapie, £40 for a good 'un, £50 with wireless from somebody like BroadbandBuyer. It'd be back up and kicking by tomorrow - or pay a chunk more, go to PCWoe or their ilk, and be back this afternoon.

Gawd alone knows why people go to VM for DSL. For cable, yes - they're the only game in town. For DSL? No. Just... no. Mind you, none of the pikey end of the domestic DSL suppliers are any better for customer service. That's how they're so cheap. Pay money, take choice.

Reply to
Adrian

In article , OG scribeth thus

Well she should have asked to be put through to the cancellations dept that works wonders;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

Yeabut she shouldn't have to have done that or even known they are like that, all she was concerned with was getting her BB service back!..

And on that note I'm pleased to say that we've only had around Two outages in the last Three years and one of them was due to "give paddy a digger and a hole in the road";)...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , dmc scribeth thus

In fact all utilities would do well to bring their call centres back to the UK..

Thats one reason its such a pleasure dealing with Zen for the ADSL service we use elsewhere, they have a UK call centre well if you consider *Rochdale to be in the UK;)..

*Well I suppose the peoples republic of Lancashire to be in the UK;)..
Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Adrian scribeth thus

Ummm M8 ... I know several people who'd pay a LOT of money to be on cable rather then ADSL supplied over copper ally string out in the sticks.

Cable requires a cable modem which aren't available in the shops these devices interface between the co-axial cable and your PC by either an ethernet connection or a USB one ..

Don't confuse an ADSL and a Cable modem different animals...

Reply to
tony sayer

tony sayer gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yes, dear. I know, dear.

Yes, dear. I know, dear.

I'm not sure that I'm the person who's doing so... You may wish to look back at the bit in the OP which says "VM dsl". Oh, look. You even quoted it.

Reply to
Adrian

In article , Adrian scribeth thus

Perhaps if your so clever -dearest- you might have pointed that out;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

tony sayer gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I didn't really think I needed to, since it was in the bit I quoted...

Reply to
Adrian

Can you fix their before-sales service?

They keep putting leaflets through my letterbox.

My house is not in a VM area.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

They can and do supply broadband over BT copper...

Reply to
tony sayer