virgin telephones

When we were with BT we had caller display to filter out what's left of the crap after the telephone preference service had had a go.

These days, all we get on the phone display is CALL. Any way to get caller display again?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That would be an excellent question for uk.telecom

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Unfortunately you need to pay them another £2 or thereabouts a month for caller display. That's on top of their exorbitant call charges.

If it wasn't for their excellent cable broadband (not fibre optic as advertised, but coaxial cable) I'd leave. The best BT say they can provide on the twisted pair phone lines here is 3Mb, although other providers say up to

22Mb over the same wires.

At least I get most of the 10Mb I pay for with virgin.

Reply to
<me9

I assume you have recently moved to VM? Some of their exchanges cannot deliver CLI, and some use a different system to BT (there is not, despite what you may be told, a UK defined standard for delivering CLI)- it depends where you live and the exchange you are connected to - you may also need to replace your phone to one that supports both systems and subscribe to their service if it's available.

Good luck because VM had/have no idea of what phones will work with their exchanges.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Thanks, I've made a note of it and will joint that ng sometime tomorrow.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Most of the calls are inbound, so £2 or thereabouts would be fine.

I'd like to see anyone get 22Mb on twisted pair, unless they lived next door to the exchange.

Ours is supposed to be fibre optic, so next time I see an engineer in their box around the corner, I'll ask him

I am quite happy with the speed, even though I don't do many big downloads. It was a bit slow Fri and Sat but I put that down to high demand. Kids at home for 2 weeks and now getting bored with the weather we are having locally (rain every day, but sporadic and unpredictable.)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks for that.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

And they did away with their excellent support news group too. Grrr

Spamlet

Pay them an extra 2 quid a month:

to be issues in some areas with differing standards for it - suspect with a modern phone it'll not be an issue

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

I get 18.5Mb and I am about 1.2km from the exchange as the cable flies.

They are fibre optic in the same way all the others are, some of the network is fibre. Some of the customers are fully fibre (except for the cabled bits like gig ethernet between the routers and head ends, etc.) but not many.

Virgin traffic shape, if you do try to use it a lot they slow you down. They slow you down for a long time to punish you for daring to use it at peak times. they could just slow you down for the peak time but they choose to punish you for longer so you don't do it often.

I'm with sky and get full speed most of the time and they do not restrict you at all.

Reply to
dennis

It is fibre optic on all their trunks, and through their main switches. It is converted to coax at the street level cabs. The coax section does not slow anything down. It just eases the final delivery phase of your connection. Calling it fibre optic for the purposes of advertising, is not a lie exactly, because the bulk of the delivery network actually *is*, it just isn't fibre optic for *quite* all the way.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

So the connection between the last piece of equipment and the customer is not fibre, but the rest is...

A like ADSL then, where the uplinks from the telephone exchange are fibre?

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

That's what I have always understood from my mate who works for them on this stuff, yes. I will give him a call, and check.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Fibre goes a fair way to the cabs - not to all but the active ones have fibre to them AIUI. Coax from there to the house.

Really? Fibre to the house? Not sure there is much point given I'd imagine the transcievers are quite a bit more expensive.

Not on their top tier service

Not on their top tier service

Not on their top tier service

I quite like the way VM are upfront about their shaping - instead of hiding it away. Also means you can run "flat out" if wanted without worrying about falling foul of some limit you can't easily measure. It's just the speed of "flat out" that varies.

Each to their own. Now if only they could sort out their offshore call centres :-/

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

In message , D.M.Chapman writes

C'mon, this is dennis

And not at all as bad as Demon who, if you exceed their rolling limit clamp you for a month

Be there are better than the lot. No shaping and a very reliable service (well in the past 12 months, anyway)

Reply to
geoff

I've been happy with VM - I get a pretty constant 50Mbit when ever I've tested it. Service is fine as long as you avoid their offshore call centres which can be a bit painful :-(

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Yes - I'm on VM here at home

I have the L package I don't need the faster uncapped package

I use Be There at work and they knock spots off Demon, aren't shaped, I've never experienced a downtime, Bulgarian (?) support who will help you with almost anything and significantly cheaper

Reply to
geoff

In article , geoff scribeth thus

Fine here too 'tho the web's been a bit tardy of late..

Is that knocked spots off meaning they are faster, don't cap or throttle you, or they don?t fall over as often as Demon?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Thank, I've just got off the phone to them and it should be up and running this time tomorrow.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Just a quick note. When I asked Virgin for caller ID it seemed not to work. When I called them to find out why it turns out that you have to personally activate it once they have turned it on at their computer. I cannot remember the activation code you dial to do this, but I am sure a quick google and you will find it.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth