Thieving Scrotes

Ne'er-do-wells unscrewed the door of my shed and made off with my elderly Husqvarna mower. However, phoned the insurance company and they phoned back within a couple of hours to say that they were authorising a replacement. Result! So, message to the scrotes - get it up ye! (ancient Scottish blesssing).

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

Beware - they have a habit of returning a few weeks later to nick the replacement new stuff - happens VERY often.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I did think about that, so the new mower is kept in the better-secured garage (although I've got to get the car out in order to get the mower out, dammit)

Reply to
Halmyre

Don't underestimate the returnees. Mine came back well equipped to tackle a well secured door on a brick outbuilding.

Reply to
dom

Dip into ye olde sporran Halmyre and get an alarm fitted - we got done over some time ago, and the b******s managed to move the car out of the garage enough to remove some rather valuable equipment.

After that, I had an alarm professionally fitted to the house and garage, and bugger me, about three months ago the alarm went off in the wee small hours - and I found that the garage door had been forced again, but this time, whoever it was ran off - well worth the several hundred pounds for that alarm fitting.

Falco

Reply to
Falco

On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 22:12:11 +0100 someone who may be "Andrew Mawson" wrote this:-

An appropriate reason for high voltage to be connected to the replacement lawnmower. They won't do it twice.

If one was serious perhaps some old SM-70s could be found, which would certainly give the thieves a bad day and which the survivors would not forget in a hurry.

Reply to
David Hansen

GSM alarm, phones you if there is a problem, stick a PAYG sim in and remember to test it once a month.

Lots on epay,like

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

So you are 20 miles away and your alarm rings you up, what do you do? Ring a neighbour and ask them to possibly disturb the intruders and get thumped for their trouble? Call the Police, they won't take any action unless you can say for definite the intruders are still there.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Check the CCTV, 2 seperate network connected systems one very offsite.

Well the banshee wailing and floods triggering off the open collector output has probably pissed immediate neighbours off, more likely to visit damage on alarm than phone Feds , when was last time you phoned anyone for a sounding alarm?

Mines programmed to dial a series of workshop neighbours after me, some of them live close enough to disturb intruders if the are trying a supermarket sweep like last time, be very unlucky intruder to bump into collection of once bitten blacksmiths , mechanics and bikers in a dead end lane...

Covert CCTV for when they have bricked the Overt CCTV should still have chance to confirm presence of intruders from anywhere that will support phone data. If neighbours are `interviewing` intruders Police presence probably not best.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Does anyone have a source for weatherproof camera domes? Cheap wireless webcams are all over eBay these days, but finding a housing to turn them into security cameras is harder.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Happened to me as well some 2 decades ago.

Well constructed wooden doors breached on both occasions and the padlock on the yard gate broken on the second occasion. A helpful neighbour took the van registration number the first time around and passed it on to the Police who couldn't be arsed to actually look for it once they had found it had recently changed hands to an owner who couldn't be arsed to register the change of ownership.

Complete co-incidence of course that at the time there was a group of travellers camped within sight of my house, albeit at some distance away at the bottom of the hill.

I too now have an alarm which I installed myself which seemed to have upset the insurance company more than the duplicate thefts.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

snipped-for-privacy@q22g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...

Somehow suspend the replacement from the shed ceiling so that it swings out through the doorway at face height when the door is opened.

"Yes, officer, I always store my mower like that. Leaves more floor space... practical, see?"

Reply to
Jules Richardson

screeching motion sensor, time delay, operated by key, less than £6, scare away local smackheads who want to sell your stuff for a quick fix

Reply to
Phil L

Heh, the first person that would be caught out by that would be me. But at least I'd only do it once...

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

Put a gopod quality padlock on the door and coach bolts through the hinges. If shed has leccy in it, wire up a light to come on as anyone approaches or a dusk to dawn light. Nothing more they hate than lights coming on... Jim

Reply to
the_constructor