Bathrooms are complicated!

Well, the end neareth. I have the bog in place on shims (3-5mm), ready to inject a load of silicone under it (it doesn't have a dead true base so needs something with give to sit on and a long time ago, here, there were a couple of people who said they'd bonded[1] bogs down rather than screwed - so what the hell, give it a try...)

[1] Car body filler was also mentioned, which would make for a solid job but I do want the option to get it out again *if* I ever need to...

But, boy - isn't a small bathroom with tiles everywhere a *lot* of work. Totally underestimated who long this would take!

Nothing is *that* difficult - it is simply that *everything* demands an artist's touch or it will look bad.

Of course if I had built it Barratts style - ie painted plasterboard, 3 tiles over the sink, couple of rows around the bath and carpet, it *would* have been easier. And crap.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wibbled on Sunday 08 August 2010 21:25

And I forgot to say... I hate chromed pipe. Looks OK apart from the inevitable odd mark from the bending machine. I'm glad I got 100 brass olives. I undid a couple of joints I thought were tight (would have been with copper pipe) and the olive had made no impression. Took a lot of wellie to get the olive to bite. Works though - pressure tested to 8 bar air (yes I know...).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Try a bed of body filler between two layers of kitchen cling film. Perfect shaped solid shim but easily removed if necessary.

Simples

Reply to
1501
1501 wibbled on Sunday 08 August 2010 21:41

Well there's a good idea.

I'll run with the silicone for this one now it's all lined up - the bog "foot" is quite huge so it's not going anywhere :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

THe loo in my workshop is sat on ordinary stiff silcone (is that high or low modulus - I never can remember). Been there now two years sitting on ceramic tiles with only the silicone and has been fine.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In a nutshell, yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Andrew Mawson wibbled on Sunday 08 August 2010 22:16

Yep - I hope for similar results. I used some Siroflex "trade strength" stuff I found in the draw rather than the usual sanitary Mapei stuff I usually use 'cos I know the Siroflex is bloody strong.

For the record, I installed the bog, a little Fernox LX on the fliddy unconvincing looking bush that goes around the flush pipe.

Then spaced it up on 6mm packers, rammed in as much silicone as I could (except for 3" right round the back - can't get there to inject, so tough, but 80% lengthwise of the edge is supported and there's a lot of edge. Then swapped the packers for 1mm/2mm/3mm as required to get it to sit nice. That caused a satisfying oozing all round so I know it's pretty packed and most of it will be an average of 1-2mm thick so there shouldn't be much elasticity there. Cleaned up, undercutting the Siroflex so I can tart it up tomorrow with some white all round in one go.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Last time I did a bog on a solid floor, the one I took out was concreted in and I had to smash up the pan and then chip off all the mortar to level the floor. Feckin' mortar was hard as rock.

Destructions for the new pan said not to concrete in, so I put the lino down, then bedded the pan on plumber's mait, then sat on it and rocked 'til it stopped wobbling. Fixed cistern to wall using long screws, 20mm grommets and mudguard washers, siliconed between pan and lino.

Job's a good 'un.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Oh yes! Small makes it harder in some ways - especially if not working alone.

At least you can relax in the bath at leisure and enjoy the result for years to come, rather than continuously think, shame I did not spend the time on it!

Reply to
John Rumm

There is something magical about the first bath you have in a new bathroom, laying there admiring it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wibbled on Monday 09 August 2010 08:41

Indeed (to both). Shall dim the lights and have a glass of wine...

Although the process has been incremental - the bath went in last year as we had another bog, so it's nice not looking at bare plaster!

I should run up the fire in the kitchen as a test too. Part of the tiled bathroom wall is the back of the flue and it runs at about 30-35C when the fire is flat out, so it would be nice not to be surprised by tiles falling off in the winter! Though the plaster hasn't so I don't expect any problems...

The new bog seems to have basically stuck down. Still a couple of mm of elasticity side to side[1] but after 8 hours, I don't expect the silicone as fully cured yet, especially deep into the joint. So I'll plumb up and test the cistern next and give it some more time before I apply the presentational white silicone around the edge...

[1] Given the "foot" is 8" wide and about 15" long, I would expect bugger all movement, even with low modulus silicone, when it's fully cured. Took a couple of days IIRC for the blobs I put behind the basin as a cushion between hard porcelain and wall tiles to fully set.

Taken the shims out now so it can finish the cure with the weight on it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Spotting all the minor bits you missed!

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm wibbled on Monday 09 August 2010 13:56

Counting the pin holes in the tile grout and noticing the odd um thick smear of white silicone on a white tile that you thought you'd washed off with meths...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have one white tile which has a ding on it, but it was prior to the tile's glazing. Didn't notice it until I laying in the bath...

There's a bit of skirting behind the loo I've never finished, but can't see that from the bath ;-) The skirting is 4" strip of the ceramic floor tiles, recessed flush with the wall surface, which came out looking very good, and gets positive comments from visitors.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

what, getting high on all the fumes from fresh materials? :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yeah, just slap up some of that tile-effect board and be done with it...

and carpet in a bathroom... yikes!

Reply to
Jules Richardson

No-one will ever notice the defects, other than you. I've been repeatedly complimented on our bathrooms, both of which have, er, problems.

Reply to
Huge

Andrew Gabriel wibbled on Monday 09 August 2010 14:56

I like that skirting idea - I could use that in the kitchen. I think it would also work just on the surface, but I'd have to admit that flush would be "wow".

Reply to
Tim Watts

Jules Richardson wibbled on Monday 09 August 2010 15:04

Yeah - the acetic acid right now. And I never realised how much ammonia is in emulsion before - in a tight space I could feel it on my eyes.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Jules Richardson wibbled on Monday 09 August 2010 15:06

What tile effect board? This *is* *Barrats/Crest/Ideal* we're talking about.

No - unskimmed PB with a coat of oridinary grade emulsion on, behind and round the size of the bog.

Utterly hideously gross idea - especially with kids... But common.

Reply to
Tim Watts