Activated charcoal/carbon & exhausted Britta water filters. DIY uses anyone ??

Has anyone found anything interesting to do with the content of exhausted Britta water filter cartridges.

We are in a very hard water area and get through one of these quite quickly. I then throw them away.

Have been thinking of this for a few months wondering what DIY use the exhausted activated carbon may have but tonight looked at the Wikipedia entry for activated carbon.

It's amazing stuff. A very interesting read.

Who would have thought that just 1 gram ( 28 grames in an ounce ) of the stuff could have an internal surface area so very large. Sounds impossible.

And each exhausted Britta cartridge will have many grames of contaminated activated carbon.

I see it ( the raw activated carbon ) can be recycled but not with ease by an amateur. And even then if I could I would not use it for my drinking water.

Thoughts anyone ???

Reply to
clonet

In message , clonet writes

You could always make a helium adsorption pump

Reply to
geoff

In message , clonet writes

If you life near enough to a store that has a recyling bin for them, they can be recycled. Seems to be mostly tesco and argos.

Reply to
chris French

You should be able to reactivate the water softener by washing through with sodium hydroxide (being anionic resin softeners) and rinse thoroughly. You could then use it for non-potable softened water, such as steam iron or house plants which can't take hard water. I've never tried this though.

I have a pile of used ones, but even in a quite hard water area and using them much longer than a month (usually 6 months), they haven't run out of water softening capability. The risk is that the bactericide (silver) wears out, and combined with debris the unit has filtered, it becomes a bacteria breeding ground. I only use them for water which is being boiled which will kill any bacteria, but not necessarily any of their resulting toxins, so indefinite use is still not advisable.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Mostly it's re-using the cases with new fills.

Activated charcoal is very cheap, in bulk quantities.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Dry them out and burn them on the barbie?

(Just the charcoal bit unless you're into check baseball caps and bling ;-))

Reply to
John Stumbles

Kids can have fun making carbon mics. Or if older, carbon arcs.

NT

Reply to
Tabby