Yahoo Groups to be wiped in December

FYI those of you (*cough*Brian*cough*) who loudly and obnoxiously insisted that Yahoo would never close and delete Yahoo Groups on no notice:

I told ya so! I hope that groups.io doesn?t make the same decision anytime soon but I will repeat my old adage again to try and shake some awareness into you; if you?re not paying for a service, you?re not a customer; you?re the product. And when a product stops making its retailers money, they stop selling it. Forewarned is forearmed.

Reply to
Stephen Cole

Just because you weren?t aware this was happening doesn?t mean there wasn?t any notice.

It has been common knowledge for some time. There may be a dead goldfish in Sheppey that hasn?t heard but you were obviously one of the last two.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Brian, it?s the 1st of November and you?re *still* an EU Citizen.

LOL!

Reply to
Stephen Cole

I hope you are not referring to me as I have not used Yahoo in years.

I do however know a lot of people who use Yahoo email and did wonder if this could survive. One of my other concerns has been the rush to not support email clients running pop3 and imap. Certainly Gmail have been hassling me, but being not interested in an ever changing interface, I just ignore them.

I'm sure those that are left will be carrying on. I also have no issues with data harvesting to pay for a service, as long as we know what it actually is gathering. I also think that if we could for example buy email and mail list access on reasonable terms that would be fine as long as isps like Virgin did not take the piss with their internet access pricing. One of the main annoyances I see just now is the tv industry all thinking they will run their own service with their own app and their own subscription. Many people will and indeed are just hacking their subs to services they are pissed off with and are quite willing to wait for shows to be older and view them either for free or much cheaper. The golden goose is going to suffer when the eggs break. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

No, it was Brian Reay I was referring to. He used to use Yahoo Groups to host his ham radio mailing list. He?d often bleat about the group in terms of it being some kind of Thousand Year Reich so I genned him up on what Yahoo did to GeoCities and suggested that he might consider finding a new home for his list if he really did want it to last long-term. Of course, he pooh-poohed the thought and insisted Yahoo would never suddenly decide to close and delete Groups, but here we are. Luckily for him, he did actually take my advice a short while later and made the move to Groups.io but there?s been recent suggestions that they?re clamping down on the free mailing lists. Really, what Brian (and all mailing list owners) should be doing is setting up their own hosted list system, it?s the only way to be safe. The technology is a bit beyond Brian, though, but I?d be happy to give him some tips if he asked.

I would say ?no chance?. It?ll eventually be shut down, with minimal notice. Sooner rather than later, too.

For email, the best bet is to buy a domain and a simple web hosting package and run it all yourself. Needn?t cost more than £10 per month.

is available...

Reply to
Stephen Cole

Corbyn?s moving in to Number 10 on December 13th, and on December 14th he?ll be coming at you with a Land Value Tax, OM.

I find it quite remarkable for a radio *amateur* to be so aghast at the idea of the hobbyist non-profit endeavour of building, configuring, and managing a Usenet newsserver.

Personally, I was mostly in favour of ulm taking up Ian Jackson?s offer of a free home on his Chiark system, but a lot of other peoples? egos wouldn?t allow it. The most ideal situation would be for the people effected by the issue to build and ru their own self-funded and hosted solution, though, rather than take the corporate freebie they were offered, which is inherently unstable by its very nature.

Reply to
Stephen Cole