ELCB and Voltmeter

A I liable to cause a trip by using a volmeter between live and earth - to trace a circuit?

Reply to
John

Not unless it is a very old one drawing serious current. Why can't you trace using live to neutral?

I prefer a neon screwdriver myself even though they are deprecated.

All bets are off if you short live to earth though.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Shouldn't do.

Assuming a typical digital meter impedance of 20 Mohm, you'll be loading the circuit by 0.02 mA, which shouldn't trip an RCD or ELCB.

If my calcs are right of course.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

no chance. Unless you short it out by accident.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes. Depending on what make/model of voltmeter. A multimeter generally doesnt trip the RCD,as thye have avery high impedance. Some of the cheaper ones, even made by a 'decent' brand can cause the RCD to trip, if the correct sequence is not followed. The Fluke T100 would trip the RCD unless a L-N voltage reading is taken first. No idea how it worked like that, but check your voltmeter manual first.

Reply to
Alan

even rock bottom $2 analogue multimeters are 1k/volt, on a 250v scale that's 1mA, less on a higher v scale. There's no way that's tripping an RCD unless it's right on the edge already, in which case you have a problem that needs sorting. And that tripping a voltage ELCB? No chance at all.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It was meant to work like that. A bit of a bastard if there is no local neutral.

Reply to
ARW

Anything is possible but I'd hope not, but what are you actually trying to find? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

So what does it mean if there is 10v on earth to neutral? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

It has not been made clear if it is a voltage or current operated ELCB.

The OP may be using older terminology and meant RCD.

Reply to
ARW

there's an unbalanced load between the 3 phases.

Reply to
charles

Or a parallel run of cable close enough to induce a voltage on the one you're measuring if the neutral is disconnected. I have one cable that when isolated at the double pole isolator, floats at 90V to earth if there is no load across it!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

If you have TN-S earthing, then you could see a fair potential difference to earth since the N carries high current but does not have zero impedance - so there will be some voltage rise between your property and the substation (and the live will typically see a comparable voltage drop). The earth however will be a close approximation of the Neutral potential at the substation.

With TT you can see a similar magnitude. With TN-C-S you can still see some, but its only the result of current flow in your property, and so will vary more depending on where you measure it.

Reply to
John Rumm

The short answer is "no" for most "normal" multimeters. However could you clarify what you mean by ELCB?

Do you mean a current operated ELCB - i.e. what we call a RCD these days, or do you actually mean a Voltage Operated ELCB (obsolete, but still installed in some properties).

See:

John Rumm