Nitrogen in Car tyres

Are you a free energy nut then?

I don't have anyone other than a few Chinese spammers in the killfile. If i decide to ignore someone I just do that, I can see all TMH posts, I just choose to ignore them.

Reply to
dennis

You don't fancy the cheap handbags they offer then?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Any garage with a compressor. Here is a quote from the wikki

Dry air contains roughly (by volume) 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen.

Can you see what Kwik Fit are doing?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Errrrm.

I rather suspected that Lobster knew that:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Just stick it into a jiffy bag. If it leaks I can then empty the air pockets of the packaging to save myself a few pence.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The only time I have seen the wrong gas used to inflate things was when I had the job as site supervisor at a primary school and the teachers inflated balloons before they went home for a party the next morning, When I opened up, all the balloons were very close to the floor because helium passes through balloon rubber very easily.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Except that oxygen will react chemically with rubber and cause it to degrade, especially when it is warm (like an F1 tyre). I thought this was the reason for not using air in F1 and aviation.

Reply to
newshound

"newshound" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

So how do they stop the outside of the tyre from "degrading"...?

Reply to
Adrian

My 1.5 psi is a guesstimate based on observation with only half remembered over/under tyre pressures and only a vague knowledge of the ambient temperature. If the physics says 1 psi/10C change that indicates my guesstimate isn't too wide of the mark. Tyre pressures should be 30 and 38 psi.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Aircraft tyres, inflated with nitrogen, do not increase in pressure. They deflate just as if they had been filled with compressed air. Unless you measure the pressure after landing when they become warmer, just like you should never measure the pressure of your car tyres after a long journey.

Your analogy is flawed. Atmospheric pressure is nominally about 15 PSI. A tyre on a car is pressurised to 30 + PSI. No gaseous element cold possible get into the tyre.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I always thought that the rubber deteriorated by contact with the road and bad tacking.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

: >

: >>> Does this actually work? : >>

: >> To a certain degree, it stabilises pressures across wide heat ranges, : >> which is why it's used in aviation. F1 teams tend to use neat CO2 for the : >> same reason. : >

: > Its just a gas the same as air, its not going to behave in a different way : > at the temperatures tyres usually run at. : >

: >

: Except that oxygen will react chemically with rubber and cause it to : degrade, especially when it is warm (like an F1 tyre). I thought this was : the reason for not using air in F1 and aviation. :

Hardly going to matter in F1, those tyres have a very limited life, certainly a lot lower than the rubber compounds used to make the tyre when/if subjected to pure oxygen. As for aviation, it's far more likely to be due to the fact that nitrogen is inert.

Reply to
Jerry

Of the new cars I have bought, they all went from service to service without needing oil in the engine, or air in the tyres.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Looks aren't everything but yeah it's very close to the line. The ads must have some small print that relate the quoted savings to something in the real world.

Bit like the current Michelin tyre add ad that saves fuel. Up to 80l on the life of the tyre, other small print on the ad gives the life of a tyre as 28,000 miles. 80l saving, a single tank from 1,000, whoo bloody who...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sailing too close to the wind? :-)

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Reply to
Jim S

That's not so much the wrong gas as the wrong ballons or wrong time. It's not as if you've got a wide choice of non-inflammable gases which are significantly lighter than air and won't pass through balloon rubber.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

So did I :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Try this one for a full packet!

Reply to
<me9

That's normal. Helium balloons normally last about 8 hours before the helium has diffused out.

You might argue it's the wrong gas because we've almost run out of helium and using what's left in balloons is a horrible waste of it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel