WD40 in a woodburner

Ever wondered what happens if you put a can of WD40 in a woodburner?
https://www.facebook.com/hollandshardsteblog/videos/vb.851624708263248/851953811563671/?type=2&theater
or http://tinyurl.com/pwkw4bd
Not something to try at home!

Says a lot about the people who use Facebook?
--

Chris

Yes, the moron can't even hold his phone the right way round.
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

I was surprised at how long it took before the can exploded. I would have expected the plastic valve near the nozzle to melt quicker than that, and maybe to cause an impressive jet of flame for a while before the whole can exploded.
On 21/10/2015 15:30, NY wrote:

Bloody hell, assuming it was a *full* can that must be more than a hand-grenade's worth of energy inside a not very strong cast iron box.

... inside a building. What a maroon.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 2nd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.

OK to lob a can on a bonfire then?:-)
--
Adam

Yep. BTDT. Rather disappointed.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 2nd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.
On Wednesday, 21 October 2015 19:14:08 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

I've seen it done (with a can of spray paint) The can shot out of the fire like a rocket.
I think a can of easy start might be interesting. Or a propane cylinder.
On 22/10/2015 06:58, harry wrote:

If you watch videos of fires on the news, something normally "blows" on LPG cylinders and you get a jet of flame, insufficient to turn it into a rocket, and the cylinder itself doesn't explode. It *might* be that the same happened in this case and that it was the containment provided by the woodburner, probably the windows or the lid, which "blew".

As the Glasgow airport "bombers" found out. Such cylinders are fitted with a fusible plug that is designed to melt and release the contents rapidly rather than explosively.
Tim

Yes, that's what I'd expect to happen with an aerosol can: that the valve in the nozzle would melt and release the contents, rapidly rather than explosively, long before the pressure built to the point where the metal of the can sheared at its weakest point and dumped its contents explosively.
Even an inert propellant will increase in pressure enough to make the can rip open; if the propellant or payload is flammable, then that makes things even more dramatic - which is what you'd think they'd want to avoid with aerosol cans.
On 22/10/2015 10:08, NY wrote:

Experience says otherwise :-)

They would go off explosively in large parts of the world including the middle east which is presumably where they got the idea from.
Islamic terrorists foiled by the EU bureaucrats and the Health and Safety Executive. It's enough to give The Daily Mail readers palpitations.

That makes no sense. The most significant feature of the Glasgow airport "bombing" was the way that the cylinders *didn't* explode. Would moving them somewhere else make a difference?
Tim

Not moving the cylinders, using locally supplied ones which don't have the fusible plug.
On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 7:53:19 AM UTC+1, newshound wrote:

Not true. Many years ago I witnessed, at a distance of a bout a 1/2 mile, a fire at a Propane gas store. Numerous gas bottles at times were blown high into the air.

If that was the fire in Croydon in the 1970s, I saw it too but from Wimbledon perhaps six miles away. Spectacular.

I think not a store, unless there was more than spectacularity at the time. I worked on the 20th floor of Lunar House (top ten floors weren't the immigration dept., sorry Harry and co.) from 1976-79, a few hundred yards from West Croydon station. A freight train with 12 or so tanker carriages in a siding ignited and caused most interesting fireworks. Several of us young un's watched through the window, ignoring loudspeaker warnings not to do so.
--
Nick (=----)

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 7:53:19 AM UTC+1, newshound wrote:

See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFj28hoioAc
Truck carrying gas cylinders crashes and catches fire. From about 2:50 onwards gas cylinders are rocketing in all directions from the fire.
Mike