Man not guilty of WD40 'frenzy'

I know everyone here loves a nice WD40 story ...

A fabrication worker sprayed a colleague in the face with WD40 in a row about a new pair of overalls, a court heard last Tuesday (26 August). However, James Burt (54) was cleared of assault after his defence lawyer argued that he had sprayed his subordinate, Mariusz Adamowicz (36), with the penetrating water-displacing oil by mistake.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

WD40 is about as much use as water, anyway. IOW, a slightly better product than Hammerite.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

WD40 is fine for releasing stuff, but normal lubrication methods need to be implimented long term. It don't arf pong though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That would be why it's the worlds best selling maintenance spray, why it's sold in 180 countries worldwide, was ranked as one of the ?Top 100 Inventions of All-Time? by UK Consumers in a 2010 Tesco Survey and why they sell $300 million worth a year.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Sun is the best selling newspaper in the UK, by a country mile. Does that mean it's any _good_?

Reply to
Adrian

A triumph of marketing.

Not lubrication.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Pah. I use WD40 a lot, mostly for tool and other metal object preservation/cleaning, but also for mild lubrication. It's a lot less messy than the alternatives, and the one can serves for many applications. I'd say a can of WD40 goes in my Top Ten Tools!

2p J.
Reply to
Another John

I no longer get to read it whenever I want but I used to hold it out as the best example of Plain English in the land. So that's one sense in which I'd say it was and still is bloody good.

Another sense is that it's good at writing for rather a lot of people who live in the UK (admittedly biased towards C2-E males outside Liverpool). You may not like their views but that doesn't make The Sun any less "good" than, say, The Guardian which writes for a different readership - more graduate, metropolitan, and public sector.

And I'll wager that a greater proportion of The Sun's sales are still to people buying out of their own pocket than The Guardian's sales.

Reply to
Robin

In article , Another John writes

It came top in a tools' survey?

Reply to
fred

It has t*ts (at least I think it did the last time I looked at it).

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Brown-coloured sugar water with a dash of caffeine wouldn't sell by the description alone. But brightly label it "Coca Cola" and it mysteriously becomes a storming worldwide success...

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

More likely top in a fools' survey.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The whole idea of a WD40 frenzy makes me chuckle.

However, good mixed metaphor on BBC Breakfast today (I forget what it was about). They said: "XXX is another tool in our arsenal". No doubt WD40 is another.

Reply to
Bob Eager

We've been around this loop many, many times.

WD40 may not the ultimate lubricant, rust proofer, release agent, sticky label remover, barbecue lighter fuel etc - but it's pretty good at all of its claimed functions, and it's all there in a single can.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

This. If it doesn't give long lasting lubrication to something like a lock or a hinge, it's not exactly difficult to spray it on every month or two. I use it on the car door lock, and one squirt in November stops it freezing up for a whole Winter, while a quick squirt stops the hinges squeaking for months at a time, as does the proper, much more expensive stuff.

As you say, for all its functions, there are better products, but it is acceptable for all of them, and available just about anywhere.

Reply to
John Williamson

Aye, I'll cheerfully agree to that.

Reply to
Adrian

God knows what the Sheriff was thinking about, how can you spray someone _twice_ by accident during an argument? Perhaps a new concept of Sheriff nullification, maybe he thought the 'victim' was in need of a good wetting down.

Reply to
fred

That is because it is written for people whose reading skill stopped developing at age six, as compared to age 14 that the broadsheets write for.

Reply to
Nightjar

On Sat, 06 Sep 2014 19:50:52 +0100, Nightjar >> The Sun is the best selling newspaper in the UK, by a country mile.

Even then, two-thirds don't read, just look at the pictures.

Reply to
Adrian

It means its very good at doing what it was designed to do.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman