I feel guilty, washing machine

I feel guilty.

My washing machine was whining and then iirc clunking and it won't drain the water.

Probably the pump.

I looked on it but coudn't find the model number so I had to look in the file cabinet. The guy I bought the house from gave me all the owners manuals, even the fireplace and the bathroom fan. (That one is sort of boring.)

With the model number I go to repairclinic.com. We've talked about them here many times Nd I've bought from them.

236 different parts they have for my machine, even though it's 42 years old. My next wife will be younger than that.

No timers, but they do have the pump, in stock. $72.80... A lot for a

42 year old machine. Maybe I should spend that money on a new machine.

Good video on how to fix parts of it and I'm looking around. Why do I feel guilty, because I used their own webpage to be reminded I might get the part somewhere else cheaper. They were talking about parts they could not get, but it applies here too.

$56.89 from Genuine Replacement Parts. $22.32 from Appliance Parts 365 "Exact Aftermarket Replacement Part" $20 from Ebay, new in the box, with picture of the box**, FSP, which iirc is who made the parts for Whirlpool.

Maybe the pump is just jammed, not shattered, but for $20 I can have it in advance and get it fixed in one shot. I can also replace the belt which I already bought because it was occasionally slipping (if I can find it).

But I feel guilty that i used their webpage against them.

I think Whirlpool used this same pump in every model for 30+ years. My mother bought one in 1957 that was about the same as mine from '79. That enables there to be replacement parts 40 years later.

**They could conceivably have one box and many aftermarket pumps, but it won't have to last another 41 years anyhow, just 25. I trust them, somewhat, and it says "NEW WHIRLPOOL WATER PUMP, 350365, A257-00 FSP OEM ORIGINAL NEW IN BOX" Guy has 100% Positive feedback on 648 sales.

BTW, there were 5 colors then, white, coffee, new avocado, golden wheat, and almond.

Reply to
micky

I missed the shipping charge, $22. The aftermarket shipping is only $9

or $30

Reply to
micky

There are two basic whirlpool washers. The wigwag (arm with 2 solenoids on it) machine with the captive belt (there is a spacer you can remove to get it on) or the direct drive. The newer direct drive machines have a habit of stripping the coupler. It is 4 rubber rods about the size of a pencil. Look for rubber "mouse turds" under the machine. If you see them, either buy the whole coupler or just replace the rods. The wig wag machines are paperweights when the belt goes or a wire breaking to the wigwag can keep different functions from working depending on which solenoid isn't operating. You may have a bad pump but if it looks OK, it probably is. It may have something in it jamming it tho and that will break an old belt. I would diagnose it a bit more before I blindly started throwing parts at it.

Reply to
gfretwell

Did you not notice it was micky?

Reply to
TimR

The file cabinet had the original instructions, and parts list with a detailed exploded view and part number for every part in it. I'm glad he saved it and I saved it.

That's the one I've got. Totally unelectronic.

[snip ;-) ]

A lot of webpages talk about getting something in the pump, like a small sock, but how can that happen? The holes in the basket are only 3/8" big and nothing ever overflows the basket. How can a sock get through a

3/8" hole? One picture has someone holding a whole child's-sock, but it's 5" long and 2" wide

You're right. I think there was a short time when it was runnnig but not draining, and I know it squealed for 5 seconds, too high to be the main bearing and I'm sure it's not the motor, so I centered on the pump.

I turned it off and on and it worked for 5 minutes and then stopped altogether. It will fill but nothing else.

It's also not spinning and the basket won't turn by hand either.

Rather than fully reevalutate, I guess I concluded the pump was jammed and the belt on the jammed pump was keeping the basket from turning.

I will get behind it or turn it over and start looking more.

Reply to
micky

Shit happens. 40 years ago I knew lots of women with Kenmore/Whirlpool washers and I have seen strange stuff in a pump You might get lucky popping the clips off and looking inside. It could be anything. Then look at the belt. Make sure you didn't cook a bruise or two in it if the pump jammed. One of those bolts that has it trapped has a bare metal looking spacer. Take out that bolt (only) unplug the wigwag and the belt comes out.

Reply to
gfretwell

Sometimes those transmissions leak if you turn it on it's side. Watch it for a few minutes before you walk away. Usually leaning it on the dryer (use a towel) at a 45 works just fine. Sit on the floor.

Reply to
gfretwell