Replace front tyres in pairs?

I've a puncture on a front tyre, it's not in the legal repair area so will need changing.

I can't decide whether to do both. that's the advice isn't it (from tyre sellers :) )

Or shall I take it somewhere shifty and have a tube put in?

Reply to
R D S

It will still fail an MOT

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I guess that depends on the wear of the tread area and whether the different dynamic will affect handling. Surely by now somebody tested this idea. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

It depends how obvious it is I suppose, I'd say that when I was very young and my father was alive some vehicles did not like different aged tyres on the front inducing weird vibrations in the steering at certain speeds. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

After my last puncture I saw a video on tyre plugs, DIY, rather than the internal patch that I think some repair shops use.

Something like this, (not the one I actually watched but similar)

Pancho

OMG no tubes....used to do that years ago....not a good idea

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

going abroad some countries demand same make and style on same axle...

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

Has anyone ever had their tyres inspected that closely when going abroad? I've visited countries in winter like Germany and Austria where they require winter tyres but have never had mine inspected, so always wondered whether the extra cost and bother was really worth-while.

Reply to
Clive Page

Local place plug them, but this is too close to the sidewall.

Reply to
R D S

It's certainly not something i'm going to worry about in the immediate future.

Reply to
R D S

When I was at uni very many years ago, a group of us went on a camping tour of Europe during the summer vac. We had a couple of cars, and because tubeless tyres were just beginning to come on the market, and no one was really confident of their performance, one of the car owners put tubes into their tubeless tyres, to be on the safe side, belt and braces etc. Big mistake. They had several bursts, supposedly due to friction between the inner tube and the casing of the tubeless tyre, the latter not being designed to take tubes. Eventually they took the tubes out altogether, and it was all OK after that.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

In the old days we were of course told never to mix a radial with a crossply on an axle.

Nowadays there is no need to discard a sound tyre with lots of tread when replacing the other one but if you are concerned why not just buy the same tyre.

What you could do is move any mismatched tyres to the rear and keep two of the same on the front.

Reply to
John Smith

Interesting. That isn't happening then.

The tyres aren't massively worn so it's paining me to replace one let alone the pair.

In skint days of old there was a garage i'd go to that would stick a tube in anything for a tenner. In hindsight a poor idea but moot if you haven't £50 to spare.

The local garage/tyre place I use charge about £22 to fix a puncture these days but i'm sure this one isn't repairable. They were taken over by a chain and i've never been in the place since without a battle about whether to do the tracking for another 50 quid.

The falsest economy ever though was 4 part worns from a seedy backstreet place, they didn't bother balancing them and they never sealed properly against the rims so they were in constant need of inflation!

Reply to
R D S

Yes, i've done that in the past but forgotten, good idea. Probably better tread on the rears too, we replaced all 4 at once.

Reply to
R D S

R D S snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:rurl06$jnr$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

If it's one worn from say 8mm new to 6mm now then I'd have no qualms just changing one.

More difference then that and I'd look at the tread on the rears with a view to moving them to the front as a wear balanced pair.

I would only repleace with a matching make and type.

Reply to
Peter Burke

If the tyres are at least reasonably common types, do you not have someone nearby that does "part worn" tyres? * Match the brand, type and (maybe) amount of tread and there's zero issues...

*There are sevral such places around here, one of the few perks of living close to a big city I guess.
Reply to
Lee

Do you have a spare tyre?

If you do, then one option is to replace the spare with the nearly new tyre and then get a new pair on the front.

I would guess that it also very much depends on how much read is left on the sound front tyre. If it is over 80% (say) of a new tyre then it seems reasonable to just replace the damaged one.

You could also replace both front tyres but retain the good one (if you have storage space) against future eventualities.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I have lost several front nearside tyres to road debris in the last few years. I've not had any problems replacing just that tyre, although the other front tyre always had a good tread depth and I always buy the same tyre make and type.

Reply to
nightjar

That's usually because the front wheels haven't been balanced.

Reply to
Max Demian

No, Just a can of gubbins which I assume is as old as the car, 8 years.

Given we're virtually under house (and work, a mere 1.5 mile away) arrest for the foreseeable I wonder about chucking that in and see what happens.

Reply to
R D S