Masks again - FFP vented and unvented. When to discard? [Long]

As I understand it FFPn masks are designed and tested to protect the wearer.

There are at least two variants - ones with an exhaust valve and ones without.

If you take the WHO advice to wear at least FFP2 or equivalent then you should be (at lest somewhat) protected against Covid19. The vented models don't protect anyone else.

The unvented models presumably protect others as well, by filtering the exhaling, but are they tested for this? Then again, I assume that they should be at least as effective as the home made cloth masks.

Sensible options seem to be to wear an unvented mask, or wear a vented mask with a cloth mask over the top.

Two more questions.

(1) FFPn masks are usually used (at least by DIYers) to filter dust and other particulates when using power tools and the like which generate dust. How long should one use a disposable mask before disposing?

Shortest time might be drilling one hole in a wall or a quick belt (!) with a sander. This seems a waste of a mask if it is discarded after just a couple of minutes use.

Longest time might be "I replace it every January if it needs it or not.". There must be a point where the filter has given of its best and is clogged.

No apply this to an FFP2 mask used for shopping. Pop into the Chemist for two minutes, then discard? Seems wasteful.

Use for all of shopping day?

Use for a week then swap?

To me a difficult question because I don't know the risk of contamination by first use spreading to the filter. In any case both vented and unvented are filtering the incoming air in the same way (presumably) so the vent should not be an issue for this calculation. However the unvented stores your own exhalation as well, which might encourage viral growth via moisture. Unless of course you are double masking with a washable or disposable mask and a vented mask.

(2) How do you find a reliable supplier? If you use Amazon then you are usually safe using Amazon own product, but less so using Marketplace. Using eBay or etsy and you seem to be on your own. Well known high street names don't seem to have any face masks in stock. Screwfix stocks an FFP2 mask but that is vented.

So many questions, so little time!

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I don't agree. For two reasons:

  1. There's a bit of a labyrinth for exhaled breath to pass through the valve, and this will stop quite a lot of the droplets. In a cold room, my masks leave a little condensate trail around the place!

In any case, unless extraordinarily well fitting, with very tight straps, a lot of the exhaled breath from unvalved masks comes out round the edge.

  1. If you protect yourself really well, then you're a lot less likely to be spreading virus in the first place.
Reply to
GB

I've used Mask Bros - for FFP2 masks. There is a choice of various "models"

During the initial lockdown they seemed to be only source selling at a reasonable price and with a 48 hour (working day) delivery. This was at a time when mask prices were inflated.

Reply to
alan_m

Thanks. Ordered some.

Personal recommendations are good.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I use reusable masks supposedly treated with an anti viral which recons to be good for20 washes. I'm afraid having tried the more medial ones, I simply could not function due to the effort of breathing in one. If they like the French specify those I will have to ask for an exception. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Early on I got vented washable masks that come with replaceable FP2 (PM2.5) filters.

Filter packs of 10 are also available separately.

I don't go out often and the times between going out are beyond the stated life of the virus so at worst/best I take a filter out and put it on one side and use another and rotate.

No idea on the efficacy. I'm in the 70+ group and awaiting my vaccine letter/notification and hoping I can avoid contracting it before I'm fully done.

So many questions so many unknowns still. Just make sure you sing Happy Birthday regularly and you'll be fine.

Reply to
AnthonyL