3M dust masks 6000 series - used one?

Hello, I'd like to know if anybody has recent experience of the 3M 6000 series masks which seem to require several parts to make them usable.

I'm after a good dust prevention mask to work in a filthy loft and have looked through the Screwfix website. Having bought and discarded a disposable JSP which didn't fit very well I'm moving on. However the 3M mask seems to need a set of vapour filters first onto which can be fitted a particulate filter which is the one I need.

My question is has anybody used a 3M mask for dust filtering without having to add the vapour filter first, in order to avoid spending money unecessarily?

Thanks for any useful replies.

PB Cromer

Reply to
Paul Bird

Possibly. I've had a 3M 6000 series half mask (looks awfully like Screwfix 4786G or 8952G) for the best part of twenty years. Used with

2128 filters (P2 & organic vapour) that just baoynet fit each side. Screwfix don't appear to have 2128 filters but plenty of other places do.

Make sure you get the right sized mask for your face. I think the one I have is just a bit too big, it has to be in just the right place to seal properly. Any significant facial hair on your cheeks will prevent a seal as well.

It's damn good at both dust and organic vapours. Stripped a door using nitromors, inside an open garage. Couldn't detect anything inside the mask, took mask off and got instantly grabbed by the throat...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have not tried the 6000 series masks, but routinely use 4000 series ones and find them very good. They do dust and vapour filtration as standard. They make an excellent seal to the face, and are easy to breathe through. They also have a valve to direct the wet exhaust air away from glasses etc.

They are intended for industrial use and are rated as "maintenance free" i.e. there are no replaceable parts, you just use them til they are done and then replace the whole thing. (they are designed for 30 full days of use before replacement), so for most DIY activities they will last much much longer.

e.g.

(note there are a couple of different variants depending on the exact hazards you need to protect against)

Reply to
John Rumm

<snip>

Thank you, that looks ideal. The JSP didn't fit properly around the nose, steamed up my glasses until I plugged the gap with a rubber glove and was altogether hopeless but the reviews for this one are much better, I'll give it a try.

PB

Reply to
Paul Bird

I use those - recommended on here by John I think. Seem to do a very good job. If it is a measure of anything, they seem to mask smell as well as dust etc. And much better than the cheapies for steamed up specs.

Reply to
RJH

I have a 3M 750x half-mask (where 'x' determines size) it fits ok with glasses (Once fitted I tend to leave in on rather than keep removing and re-fitting it every few minutes) and diverts your exhaled breath away from steaming them up

you can fit various levels of vapour and/or particulate filters to it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I find JSP Tradesman is a good fit, and the straps are nice and robust.

GB

+1 I've had to replace the elastic but the filters are going strong. I even gave one to SWMBO as a present!
Reply to
nothanks

That's the one I've thrown away. Hopeless. A waste of £13.

Lousy fit around the nose.

Reply to
Paul Bird

The same one fits me well. Funny how we're all different. :)

Reply to
GB

On 25/10/2019 11:42, GB wrote: <snip>

The plastic JSP have used for the face "fit" is a hard shiny unmalleable plastic.

If only I could show you here, the 3M version is a soft, pliable more sympathetic material.

This one fits fine, I would have bought the 3M first, had I known and when you come to replace your JSP bear in mind what I've said.

Reply to
Paul Bird

I find it quite soft. Is yours coloured blue?

The straps look flimsy on the 3M. You've had no problems?

Reply to
GB