dust masks for spectacle wearers?

Hi,
Can anyone advise of a good dust mask for spectacled DIYers? I've been buying whatever I could find in the sheds; previously they were 3M, this time it was something by Harris. I've been trying to cut some MDF so I needed a mask but even adjusting the bit round the nose I was getting my glasses steamed up. Has anyone found a make that doesn't do this?
TIA
Fred wrote:

I presume that you are talking about the disposable 'paper' type. I have a similar problem which was mostly solved using a valved version. Plastic grid in the front with a piece of thin rubber - breathe out ant the flap opens to give an open passage to the air (little pressure so little air forced around the nose seal), breathe in and the flap closes to restore filtering
Malcolm

Yes
This Harris one is not valved but the 3M ones were. I can't remember now but I think I still had the steam problem even with the valved variety.
Fred wrote:

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

In the end, being an asthmatic carpenter, I invested in a full face mask with fan driven filtered air flow (by Trend). Expensive, but a boon for anything dusty. It does 4 hours on a charge, but I have two batteries.
R.
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 19:30:19 +0000, TheOldFellow

Seconded. Just bought a JSP Powercap. Staggeringly expensive and not yet used in anger, but it looks promising. 8 hours on a charge.
Fred wrote:

I find its not worth titting about with the fold up ones. These on the other hand:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13038/Workwear-PPE/Protective-Clothing/Respiratory-Protection/3M-Maintenance-Free-Respirator?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-RESPIRATOR-_-13038
work exceedingly well, make a perfect seal to the face and have a valve to direct the wet air away from glasses and to reduce airflow resistance. They block particulates and vapour.
--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13038/Workwear-PPE/Protective-Clothing/Respiratory-Protection/3M-Maintenance-Free-Respirator?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-RESPIRATOR-_-13038
And screwfix claim they work for gases even though they are only P2 masks!

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13038/Workwear-PPE/Protective-Clothing/Respiratory-Protection/3M-Maintenance-Free-Respirator?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-RESPIRATOR-_-13038 #
A "P2 mask" is something that Vatican masons wear.
Masks have ratings. They may have several ratings simultaneously. "P2" is their rating against particulates, and doesn't have any indication that a mask does or doesn't filter other contaminants too, such as vapours.
That particular mask is one from the 3M 4000 disposable range. As it appears to have a brown & white tag on the valve it's a 4200 series, which have a carbon filter as well as fibre, so they're are also good against simpler organic vapours. As it's cheap and only claims to be P2 not P3, it's probably the entry-level 4251 that should cost about 15 quid, or less in boxes. Common as muck, and a good basic mask. If you teach short workshop courses, you're probably handing these out to every student - they have a 1 month life without COSHH paperwork and work out cheaper than disposables.
On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 21:28:52 +0000, John Rumm

Thanks. How long does it last before you have to throw it away? twenty-eight days has been mentioned in other replies. Is that 28 days of use rather than 28 calendar days: mine might sit on the shelf that long before being used depending on what I get round to doing!
Fred wrote:

I think it is aimed at industry where you can use them for 28 days solid without any extra maintenance or paperwork.
In DIY use they last ages - I have had one for years that still seems very effective and has not got any more difficult to breath through.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 19:16:11 +0000, John Rumm

On order, thanks.
Fred wrote:

Tell us what you think when you have tried it!
--
Cheers,

John.

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 11:42:45 +0000, John Rumm
Some time ago I was asking about dust masks that didn't steam up your glasses. I had read some old posts here in which the late Mr Hall recommended replaceable 3m filters, but I was confused about which of the many filters I needed, so I never got round to buying any.
Then John Rumm recommended this 3m mask: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13038/Workwear-PPE/Protective-Clothing/Respiratory-Protection/3M-Maintenance-Free-Respirator?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-RESPIRATOR-_-13038
Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I have been using it occasionally for a couple of months now and wanted to say that now I have had some experience of it, I thoroughly recommend it. Just as John said, it will not steam up your glasses, so anyone who, like me, was not sure about spending the money, do go ahead and buy one.
It does look a bit strange when you get it out of the bag: there's a funny head strap that goes on top of your head but in use, the mask is very comfortable.
The only "problem" I have had is that there is a second strap that fastens around the back of your head and I sometimes find it is too low and presses on my neck. I wish I could work out how and where you are supposed to fasten that comfortably.
HTH
On 12/06/2010 09:49, Fred wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13038/Workwear-PPE/Protective-Clothing/Respiratory-Protection/3M-Maintenance-Free-Respirator?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-RESPIRATOR-_-13038
Is it any good for dusty conditions, or only for gaseous hazards? [The SF blurb doesn't seem to mention dust].
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 12/06/2010 13:32, Roger Mills wrote:

Its designed for particulates and vapour - so yes its good with dust etc.
--
Cheers,

John.

It works with dust; that's the reason I bought it. I have used it when wall chasing, drilling into brick walls, sawing and it has worked perfectly in my experience. I didn't know it worked with gases. Perhaps there's a layer of carbon hidden inside to trap vapours? What gaseous hazards does a DIYer encounter: paint fumes?
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 10:58:48 +0100, Fred wrote:

Or paint striper fumes. I wore my particulate/organic fumes mask when nitromosing a door in the garage with the up and over door open. Didn't detect any niff at all inside the mask, took it off for a cuppa and first breath of the "atmosphere" inside the garage had me dashing for the outside double quick...
A proper half mask really is the business for dealing with dusty and with the right filters fumey enviroments. Any of the paper things are next to useless, they'll keep some dust out but they never effectively seal to the face so leak around the edges.
--
Cheers
Dave.

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:49:42 +0100, Fred wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13038/Workwear-PPE/Protective-Clothing/Respiratory-Protection/3M-Maintenance-Free-Respirator?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-RESPIRATOR-_-13038
Thanks for the report and link - wish I'd known about this a month ago! Just been getting the old insulation out of the loft. The cheap, valved masks work (judging by all the crap on the outside) but my specs misted up and the goggles over them had water actually trickling down inside! I just couldn't get the mask to seal fully around my nose; it seemed to be OK for inhaling (good thing) but air came out and into the mask.
Bit late now, but I'll get one of the 3M ones. One of the reviews mentioned prefilters but I couldn't see any on the page.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

I forgot to add to my earlier reply that I also used this mask to work with insulation and plaster dust.
I had exactly the same problems as you. If I wore glasses and valved paper mask then my glasses steamed up and I couldn't see what I was doing. That left a difficult decision: remove the mask and choke or remove my glasses and still not be able to see what I was doing! I struggled with the paper filters for far too long and wish I had bought this one sooner. It looks huge when you remove it from the bag but when you wear it, you almost don't realise it is there.