Mountings on an outside wall

The other day I picked up an electric patio heater in Wickes, cos they were half price (been looking for one for ages and not just to annoy anyone with a green bias!). It's quite a heavy beast and is mounted on a bracket with 3 holes, 10mm diameter, spaced at about 3 inch centres. Having got some through bolts for the job, I got to wondering what would e the best way to drill: Clearly all three could go into the same brick, but that sounds like it's putting the eggs in one basket. I could put two in each of a pair of bricks, with the middle one in the mortar between (though mortar isn't really going to hold much), or two into one brick and the third into a neighbouring one (which might look a bit unbalanced).

Any suggestions for the best way from the panel?

Cheers

Reply to
GMM

The message

from GMM contains these words:

You could put a substatntial hardwood mounting plate on the wall to spread the mounting load over a larger area and fix it to that . Or if you really wanted to do a good job, a steel plate, galvanised then drilled and tapped for the heater mounting bolts.

Reply to
Appin

How heavy is it? Three 10mm through bolts sounds something of an overkill. If it's the 90 quid one reduced to 45 quid on their website I'd have expected a couple of brown wallplugs and screws to be adequate.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Don't bother with the one in the mortar, as you say it won't hold much. Two really good fixings into separate bricks will hold a huge load safely. Not sure what you mean by through bolts though?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think people underestimate the strength of modern fixings. I put up a hanging basket for a lady the other day, apparently it had fall off a couple of times. Drilled new holes, used 2 - 6 x 60 multi montes & then hung my entire weight (not inconsiderable, I am a burly chap) on it. Its never coming down.

Can't remember who it was on here that put me on to multi montes, but thanks whoever it was.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not me, certainly. What are they? Google just failed to find them (or perhaps I didn't recognise any of the links as the 'correct' ones)?

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Correct speeling always helps ;-)

Andy Burns

The Medway Handyman

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That depends on how well the elephant scarer is working, if he gets a couple of those perching on it it will need through bolts.

Reply to
dennis

Actually, it's a pretty hefty thing, plus it stands out from the wall so could put a bit of torque on the mountings. I bought the 10mm bolts because I'd like to be able to mount it in such a way I can easily demount it in the winter (probably the summer too, judging by the rain this year!). Their studs fit the drillings in the bracket closely and it's easier to put a nut on and off, given the weight, than to try to use a screw.

Reply to
GMM

Through bolts probably should have been spelt 'thrubolts' as on this page:

I wanted to have studs protruding from the wall so I can offer the bracket up to them and mount it easily, so multi montis wouldn't really have worked.

Reply to
GMM