temco wall heater

Moving into an old house, found a Temco? surface mount Wall heater. It seems to be gas fired. How does this heater work? There is currently no electricity in the house, yet the heater is hot. But I don't think there is any flame. It does have an AC plug, which I assume is for a fan- I'll know when the power comes on. TIA Michael Muderick

Reply to
Mike Muderick

I grew up (well, spent my childhood...) in a house that had gas fired wall heaters, no blower, though. The thermostat simply works off of the milivolt electricity generated by the flame (I think) and the gas burners are beneath a heat exchanger tube.

My Mother loved these heaters. On a cold day she would simply back up to the heater, and toast her backside. Nice and cozy.

I have no idea how efficient they are, but they sure can warm up a house! Oh, by the way, I remember that they would pop and make a lot of noise as the metal expanded.

Reply to
Larry Davick

replying to Larry Davick, Terry wrote: H Larry, I have this heater in my fabric/quilt shop, which is in the 'barn' next to my house. I agree, it does throw a good amount of heat, but is expensive to run in an old building with only parts insulated. Trying now to get the thernostat control back to working right ... can't afford to leave it on all night long!

Reply to
Terry

Larry has been sitting by his heater for 13 years, just waiting to hear that. Thank you again HomeMoaners Hub.

Reply to
trader_4

Terry posted for all of us...

Try throwing a nice gauzy cotton wrap over it to conserve the heat.

Reply to
Tekkie®