Picked up an electric motor today......

Well, today at a tag sale I picked up an electric Craftsman 1/3 hp motor in perfect working order. The tag on it says 1750 RPM, I was wondering if this would be usable for a disk sander set-up. It has a pulley wheel that is literally welded to the shaft. I guess that I could run a belt to my disk set up, Right?

Rich

Reply to
Searcher

I completed just such a project two weeks ago using a motor salvaged from a washing machine several years earlier rated at 1725 RPM and 1/3 HP. I made it from a plan in Issue #12 (1993) ShopNotes and modified it from 12" to a 9" disk sander so I could cut the sandpaper from standard

9x11 sheets. The sandpaper is applied directly to a 9" disk cut from hardboard with spray adhesive and works beautifully with it bolted to a hub that fits the 1/2" shaft of that old motor.
Reply to
James Ruetenik