Electric air cleaner on heater sparking

Hello All, My wife and I recently bought a new home which has a Bryan forced gas heater system. On the air intake for the unit, there is an electric air cleaner ( I assume it charges the filter which attracts dust). Anyway, shortly after moving in, the air cleaner began to spark and make popping noises. If I look inside the cleaner while it's operating, I could see small blue sparks jumping back and forth inside the unit. I of course turned it off, but now there is no filter operating. We just spent thousands rewiring, and don't have the cash to bring anyone out for another month at least. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong, or how it may be inexpensively fixed? Thanks so much for the info. Best Regards, David

Reply to
David

It just needs cleaning. The procedure for cleaning varies for different makes and models. If you don't have the instructions (why does everyone throw them out?) then come back and post information about the make and model and maybe someone will be able to help. You also may be able to find something on the internet, seach by make and model.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Not know what type of cleaner you have makes it pretty hard to troubleshoot from here. I used to have an older Honeywell electrostatic unit. It zapped every time a large particle hit the grid. I now have 2 IonicBreezes from Sharper Image. They make noise when dirty. That is when I clean them.

Any air cleaner needs to be cleaned occasionally. In the beginning they need cleaned more often, because they are cleaning the air from a dirty state. (comparatively). When you clean this unit check the paper filter as well if you have one.

Have you read the directions? Have you called the guy that installed it with your concerns? If it is new they should be willing to come out and put your mind at ease.

Reply to
SQLit

Reply to
Tony Berlin

It is doing EXACTLY as its designed.... Oh...and they are not as good as good old pleated paper units.

Reply to
CBhvac

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

This is Turtle.

It need cleaning. Buy you a good media filter till money get right and have it cleaned or go for cleaning it yourself.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

forced gas

electric

dust).

spark and

forth inside

operating. We

bring anyone

Would you care to explain this? My understanding is that they are significantly better.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

It would not say they are better, rather they are different. In some ways the pleated paper does work better, in others the electronic works better. It depends on what you are filtering.

I would tend to say in most cases the paper works very well with few problems. Those selling fancy electronic units tend to make claims that are best misleading, even when they are true.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan