Furnace air cleaning systems...

I have a question on an electronic air cleaner.

We are new home owners in Canada. Hot summers cold winters no spring or fall so basically our blower is on 10 months a year either heat or cooling. Gas furnace about 12 years old, central air about 20 years old. Electronic air cleaner about 40 years old.

Model is Electro Air SS10 cleaner. It has two pullable rad type cartages that appear to be powered when the unit is on.

The electronic cleaner is located at the return duct near the furnace blower motor. There is no paper or membrane filter for this but a piece of mesh metal. I can't find a size of filter to fit this although I managed to make a 16 x 24 x 1 inch think paper cardboard edge filter "fit" just before those cartages. We are a bit concerned with dust because 2 big dogs will live with us shortly.

How do I know if these electronic cleaners filter dust? How do they work? I assume they zap dust particles but is that effective? I see no collected dust on these cartages. Right now I assume they will not work so tried to cram a filter in a 1 inch slot for some filtration.

Anyone have any advice on these types of cleaner system?

Thank yee!!!!

Reply to
The Henchman

-------------------------------------

Reply to
acbysean

Hi, From Calgary, I have an EAC made by Honeywell. It has coarse mesh prefilter and another after. But I don't use the one after. I have two sets of cartridges replacing it once in summer and once in winter. I wash them in a dish washer. Knowing my a/c evaporator coil staying clean, this set does a good job keeping the clean air circulate.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I'm in Toronto are, not the city itself but a small town on the outskirts, so we don't get big city type dust, but we get the big city type humidity come mid-may. there doesn't appear to be any dust collected on those cartridges at all. When do they give up and quit? How much are they do replace? are you saying you replace those big metal cartridges twice a year?

I have one prefilter mesh. Are those easy to replace?

Reply to
The Henchman

My guess is as yours. Now power metal cartiridges, and use pleated air filters, but since I canot find ones for this, I might be stuck using this old electronic air cleaners that may or may not work with large pets....

Reply to
The Henchman

Hi, Then your cleaner is defective. Probably HV power is mising. When it is operational you from now and then hear this zap. zap noise and slight sign of Ozone smell. Cartridges in my cleaner are black collecting fine dust and pollen, etc. when removed for cleaning. It must have two indicators, one for power on, one for in-use and a test button to check it out. Checked fuse?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Oh, it will probably filter large pets out ;-)

Reply to
.p.jm.