home air cleaner

Hi all . I'm looking for an opinion for an electronic air cleaner for a house. The CR recommends AprilAir, Honeywell and Trane. Does anyone have any experience - good or bad with these makers? Bad experience, especially. Or any specific model?

thanks

Gene

Reply to
xanuda

Trane does NOT make their units, but buy from Honeywell, and rebadge them...so much for CR....

Reply to
CBHvac

Reply to
Tony Hwang

CONSUMER REPORTS rated them either this month or last. If you don't have the last issue (I think it's the Oct. issue because the Nov. issue is already available), go to the library and look up the article. I think the best one is Friedrich C-90A. It's expensive but very good. Check CR for Aug, Sept. and Oct, because I'm not exactly sure which issue I saw them in.

Reply to
Chemqueries

The problem with electrostatic is they loose efficency fast when they get dirty, they should be cleaned 3 to 12 times a year. Paper increases in efficency for particle removal as they get dirtier and usualy last longer 1 yr.

Reply to
mark Ransley

I've had my Friedrich C90 for something like 6 or 7 years and it still works great...I throw the cell in the dishwasher about once every 6 weeks and good as new again....

Great device!

Reply to
Chris Schmelzer

great...I throw the cell in the dishwasher about once every 6 >weeks and good as new again....

************************************************ How often do you change the other filter? You know, there's another filter in the front. I think its a carbon or charcoal filter? I heard those have to be changed a few times a year, but they are pretty inexpensive.
Reply to
Chemqueries

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Ive got the same model as well

Had it abt 9 months now

Hey....when you throw the cell in the dishwasher.... do you add regular dishwashing liquid as well? Is it OK to use that soap?

Or should I use something else?

John

Reply to
me63401

I dont know how dirty you call dirty ,the point is they loose effectiveness quickly When they are really dirty , they have lost cleaning ability long ago, where paper gets better. Its just better to clean them often. Check your blower and furnace to see if you have buildup , that will help determine if you wash it enough. Also I beleive they pull around 100 watts For me that would add 85.00 a year running 12 hrs a day. My large paper filter costs 20.00 and lasts a year. But true It doesnt run 12 hr , unless its real hot or cold out. Either way , there is a trade off.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Talking air filters, I have 2 Aprilair 2200- 4 inch media filters. Both are a defective design allowing no positive seal at the top of the slide in casing. They both allow 1/8 " space where dust bypasses the filter and screws up my furnace with dust.. I used foam strips to seal it , but April Air was no help. There are good designs out there. But April Air is not one. I even contacted consumer reports after their article. No response on several attemps

Reply to
mark Ransley

The Freidrich unit is a stand alone unit.

Its NOT something built into your furnace.

John

Reply to
me63401

In '91 we bought the Aprilair 2400 & change the paper filer every 2 years. Our furnace/AC guy stated for us to do that since it works better when dirty & he is correct per AIRRITE where we get the filters. Amazing that I don't dust half as much as I used to.

Reply to
Brenda

You have to examine the filter , a filter takes out a higher percentage of particles the dirtier it gets. But in doing so reduces airflow. A filter to dirty reduces airflow and efficency of your system. I cant see what you have after 2 years. Check after 1 , you dont want it caked and clogged before replacement , just dirty. But they do last in a clean house.

Reply to
mark Ransley

I'm also considering something like this - specifically a standalone unit for our laundry room. We have a number of cats and the dust of the litter settles quite heavily in the rooms nearest the laundry room. I'm thinking this is going to be a pretty demanding environment for the air cleaner. *Lots* of fine grained dust will probably mean frequent filter changes. Does anyone have suggestions for a unit that will stand up to the dust load and for which the cost of filter replacement wont kill me?

Does it make more sense to put a vent fan in the room to suck the dust outside? I live in Houston, so it's very hot and humid alot of the time and I thought the vent might cost me big on the electric bill by blowing all my cool air out.

Any thoughts?

Rusty

Reply to
Rusty

Yes, regular dishwashing liquid is RECOMMENDED by Friedrich and most other electronic cell manufacturers...

Works great, gets it squeaky clean, though I often use the pots and pans cycle to get it extra clean

Reply to
Chris Schmelzer

I actually quit changing the charcoal filter...The damn thing is like $20 and really is unimpressive in its construction (very small thin layer of charcoal)

It won't run without it, so I just ripped out the old charcoal insert and put the frame back in...Been fine for 6 years that way

I'm really not concerned about odors anyhow (plus I doubt its effectiveness)

Reply to
Chris Schmelzer

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Good God, I would hate to see the condition of your system. Thats a damn fine way to crack a heat exchanger..

Reply to
CBHvac

Great Chris! Thanks!

Ive only had my Freidrich unit abt 9 months now. So far so good

John

Reply to
me63401