Vacuuming HEPA filter

As a gift, I received a circular Honeywell air purifier, model 50100. It has a "Lifetime HEPA Permanent Filter" which one is suppose to vacuum. I'm trying to make sense of this logic. When you vacuum the HEPA filter, you're pulling the fine particles away from the filter and spewing it everywhere via the vacuum cleaner. I'm sure there's some logic behind it, but it just isn't all that obvious right now. Insights are appreciated.

Reply to
Dubious Dude

Do it outside?

Reply to
<kjpro

Hey!! You learn pretty quick. How bad did you get screwed when they bent you over for that thing?? Did you get kissed after??

Reply to
Noon-Air

Of course, you could do the vacuuming outdoors, and disperse all them nasy particles out to the world. At least they would not be indoors with you.

You could also clean the filter with compressed air, and not worry about the vacuum bag. Just clean out the filter at your local auto repair garage, where they won&#39;t notice the extra particles.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

it does seem ironic but, theoretically the a good vacuum will suck up the dirt and dust in the in the filter not just spew it around.

Here are some more ideas about how to clean the air in your home,

gjensen

Yes, that option occurred to me. I&#39;m trying to avoid it, since I live in a highrise (no balcony). Also, many appliances warn users not to use them outside. I&#39;ve never known why, but of the prevalence of the warning, it is likely to be well-founded.

Reply to
Dubious Dude

Yes, that option occurred to me. I&#39;m trying to avoid it, since I live in a highrise (no balcony). Also, many appliances warn users not to use them outside. I&#39;ve never known why, but of the prevalence of the warning, it is likely to be well-founded. However, it may be the only practical one.

If that is required, I&#39;d probably exchange it for another make. This model was probably meant for house dwellers with a garage containing a shop-vac. But the vacuuming outdoors is certainly a possibility (still seeking others).

Reply to
Dubious Dude

A good vaccuum that would not spew out the small particles that a HEPA filter is meant for would be vacuum that itself has a HEPA filter. I acknowledge that there may be cases where it makes sense to clean one HEPA filter by at the expense of another one (e.g. if the 2nd one was way cheaper), but I think I&#39;d like to avoid purchasing a HEPA filtered vacuum at this point.

Interesting. The website advises keeping windows open for fresh air. The Honeywell air purifier requires the opposite. That is, the instructions advise running it all the time with windows and doors closed. That probably minimizes the particulate matter in the air, but probably traps and accumulates chemicals or outgassing from products for which that is a problem. Because of these instructions, I would say that the HEPA filter air purifier is of greater utility in the winter, when the windows are closed anyway.

Reply to
Dubious Dude

When I last looked at Consumer Report, many years ago, the ionizers weren&#39;t so good.

Reply to
Dubious Dude

Well, I could always just switch to another make if I don&#39;t figure out a good solution.

It is possible that they intend only to remove the "large" particles from the surface of the deeply pleated filter -- those not caught by the prefilter. Some of the fine particles for which the HEPA filter is meant may also be drawn away, but that may not be the main purpose.

Reply to
Dubious Dude

Hi I am assuming your young . Many people have experience with this. Please don&#39;t use what you bought and take it back. I can say allot more but at this point thats the most important thing to remember right now. Air filtrations systems for the home are basically a giant waste of money ( I can detect particulate pollution from any place and give you accurate readings). There are ways to compensate but lets just say if you want effective you can vaccum the large particles every week and hope for the best But buy new every month or every two months or else the fine particulates that accumulated deep inside. will start to recircle toward you. Its a sorry state of affairs but people like me who have to live in this mess have to suffer the consequences ina myraid of ways. The only way I think people can protect themselves ( should I give trade secretes out? ) na... no one likes my rants..

Reply to
mcs

message

Hi, I have a unique website

Due to my financial dificulties I am not able to advertise & promote my website on the global web. Please help me make this website popular. Any suggestions on how to advertise this website for free would be appreciated.

Thanks

iamallergicto

Free??? nope.... not a chance. BTW...welcome to my killfile spammer

*PLONK*
Reply to
Noon-Air

Sure--anywhere but here; this is a support group. However, you can get creative about placing your site into search engines with selected keywords.

Reply to
aroberts

REAL HEPA filters are made from layered spun glass and they should not be vacuumed. They need to be replaced when full. If you have to wash the filter your taking the chance of mold or bacteria growth. Don&#39;t trust Honeywell&#39;s off the wall claims! Also Honeywell HEPA air cleaners have a VERY low air exchange rate per hour even in a small bedroom sized area.

Reply to
Ecodude

installing bag into vacuum cleaner will help

Reply to
A. K. SEPUT

I never like HEPA filters, but they work well in disk drives. For volume efficiency, use an electrostatic filter. I have used several whole house system filters on the furnace/air, and the best are the 3M but also have lower thermal efficiency. You can also wash many of the fiber electrostatic air filters, but the cardboard makes it difficult. If they were made it out of plastic, you could easily clean them.

gs