loft conversion - fire-resisting doors

I am replacing some upstairs landing doorways, and they are a door with a glass panel over, to let light into the landing. The glass cannot be filled in without plunging the landing into darkness. I want to make the doorways OK for a future loft conversion. They already have rising-butt hinges, which will cope with the self-closing (when oiled !). But I understand the glass panel over will also have to be

30mins fire-resistant. Each pane is about 800 x 500mm. What type of glass would I need, and what would the cost be ? This must be a common situation - what is the usual solution ? Thanks. Simon.
Reply to
sm_jamieson

wired glass? May depend on size of pane - check with Building Control

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You dont have to use wired glass pyroguard is available in 30 and 1 hour fire protection you may (more than likely) also need to change the door and frame as well to give the necessary protection. have a look on the BWF (British wood working federation) site and speak to an approved fire centre for advice.

Reply to
JD

On 23 Mar 2007 08:48:19 -0700, a particular chimpanzee, "sm_jamieson" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Any loft conversion from 6th April 2007 will need the doors replacing with fire doors (unless you want to get into the business of upgrading them, which, unless your house is listed, isn't really worthwhile). The good news though is that they don't need self closers on them.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

So whats the situation with doors with glass over ? I imagine you could add some kind of fire-resisting glass as "secondary glazing" to the existing pane ? Simon,

Reply to
sm_jamieson

On 3 May 2007 01:17:28 -0700, a particular chimpanzee, sm_jamieson randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

The glass over (as pointed out by others) has to be fire-resisting. It can be fitted over the existing, provided the framing detail was correct. However for a door frame with fanlight over, this usually involves building out the frame, making it look ugly.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

I may be a bit fick here, but what's the point of fire doors without self-closers?

Are people supposed to remember to shut them before going to bed pished leaving the chip pan on?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

But doors with closers get propped open. On balance they will be closed more of the time without the closers.

Reply to
djc