Limescale tablets in washing machines

You're right, I shouldn't refer to surfactants because although they can affect scum formation they do not strongly affect scale formation.

I think I'm going to get rid of these tablets. A routine which involves regularly putting one of these tablets in the toilet cistern seems, excuse me, unduly anal. So to speak.

Reply to
pamela

Different things: Scale forms when water is heated, scum forms when some surfactants (soap, notoriously) react with the "hardness".

Detergents do contain their own water softeners. My laundry detergents suggest different doses, according to the water hardness.

So: Using the detergent amount suggested for the softest water, and add the water softener tablet...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Rillago

Reply to
A_lurker

I live in Manchester. Water doesn't come much softer. Lidl, and all the other supermarkets have the same range of softening products on the shelves. What was that about "No nonsense"?

Reply to
Graham.

I'm beginning to doubt the trust I put in Lidl. I didn't think they had room for product lines that are outright crap but now I'm not so sure. :-(

Reply to
pamela

perhaps Lidl and Aldi win cite standardisation of their supply chain, but Sainsbury's and Tesco are well versed in stocking their shelves with ethnic items in line with their customer demographic.

Reply to
Graham.

Heating water up to 40C as done by modern washing machines won't deposit any hard water scale - you really need to go above 60C before that becomes a consideration.

Washing detergents don't react with calcium to form solids (unlike old hand-wash soap powders, which you shouldn't use in a washing machine).

Whilst you won't get scale on the element, you may get some in other places where water dries - in the lower grove of the rubber door seal is quite common, but pretty harmless, although mixed with fabric conditioner residue, you might get some mold too. Also on the inlet water jets, but a descaling additive in the wash won't have any impact there.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Eh? Last time I looked my loo flushes with cold water. And scale forms on the pan were that comes out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Their bleach is poor too. Tesco Value is not only cheaper but much better.

But then I don't expect every single thing from any one shop to be perfect.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just agitating water causes scale formation in hard water. Hence scaling in cold water pipes and WC bowls

Reply to
harry

Best not put anything in the cistern. I tried Harpic limescale remover to fix scale around the bowl rim. It didn't remove any scale but it softened the inlet valve seal which then leaked needed replacing.

Reply to
therustyone

What if you have a 3 year manufacturer's guarantee and they tell you to use Calgon. Will it be invalidated if you don't, or use a cheaper alternative, like Sainsbury's.

Reply to
therustyone

Did wonder about that. Probably why the disinfectant tablets designed to be put inside the cistern don't include a de-scaler.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can't fully understand the recommendation to put a tablet in the toilet cistern. I've lived in several hard water areas but don't recall seeing any limescale buildup in the loo. Maybe it happens in unseen parts.

Reply to
pamela

We have monstrously hard water. The previous owners of the house didn't have a water softener.

All the loos had streaks of limescale down the back of them. The taps in the "downstairs" toilet were completely clagged up with limescale & I had to replace them - all the plumbing joints were clagged up with scale. One of the ballcocks in the loft jammed up shortly after we moved in - limescale. Hell, when you boiled an egg, it left a visible layer of scale on the bottom of the pan.

We have a softener, now.

Reply to
Huge

People who are less scrupulous about keeping the toilet clean will see a buid-up of lime scale below the rim and below the waterline. Also probably streaks down the back surface. I fear that those who frequently clean the surface may never see this happen because they are cleaning away a fine, soft film of calcium salts each day. You are possibly depriving yourself of this interesting practical chemistry experience.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It does tend to hide under the rim - so may not be noticeable unless you get down and look.

It probably also depends on the design of the pan. With mine it does show at the rear of the pan, and doesn't get shifted by normal cleaning.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

UR HRH Charles, Prince of Wales &ICM£5!

Reply to
Graham.

It can build up under the rim over time. Limescale removing toilet cleaners, containing hydrochloric acid, are available. "Do not mix with bleach or any other household cleaners." Wise advice I would have thought, since the packs look just like the bleach type.

Reply to
Max Demian

Nah. Not me mate, though I actually like Camilla.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher