chlorine tablets not disolving

I have an in-line 3 inch chlorine tablet erosions dispenser for my pool. Last spring I had a problem, in that the tablets were not dissolving. I usually have to fill the dispenser once a week, but after two or three weeks I just had to add 2 or 3 tablets. I purchased a different band of tablets and system began working properly.

Now this year I am having the same problem with the brand that worked last year and I have tired 2 other brands with the same results. I obtained a floating dispenser and the tablets are not dissolving in it either. Even putting them in the skimmer basket the tablets last several weeks.

I noticed some companies are advertising slow dissolving tablets. However, with tablets in the floater, in the skimmer basket and in the dispenser my chlorine level barely registers on my test kit. All my pool chemistry is correct and I am now adding 2 gallons of liquid chlorine a week to keep the algae under control.

Reply to
Giganews

The inline chlorinators sometimes tend to clog so no water is flowing over the tablets, and the water just sits there saturated with chlorine.

However if the tablets are not dissolving in the floater, then something else is strange. Is the water really cold? In N. California, the pools are unused from about November to April, and I find that the chlorine use is way down because the tablets don't dissolve as fast in cold water.

Reply to
SMS

I use the floater type dispenser with 3" tablets. My use goes way, way up in the Summer. I live in the desert - triple digit temps.

Seems the tablets go on sale in the Fall, but mine are mostly used up in the Summer. I do use less in the off season.

-- Oren

Oren