Miele washing machines

I'm fed up with cheap quality washing machines and was thinking about Miele. How easy are they to fix after the 5 year guarantee is up...are parts easy to get and reasonably priced? How many of you have Miele and never have problems?

Reply to
Conrad Edwards

Are you fed up with the down time meaning no clothes washed for a weeks or so? Probably, yes. Then buy two mid priced washing machines and still have change over a Miele. Two Bosches for a Miele and change. If one drops out then one still works and no down time. Two loads at once of different colours. As the load is evened out between the two they should last longer as less wear.

Miele's do go wrong and when they do you are still in the same position as when a cheapy Hotpoint is down too.

Think about it.

Reply to
IMM

Very good points IMM. A washing machine is a washing machine, and all can break down. A make like Hoover is more easily repaired because the parts are more readily available and cheaper. I would also recommend staying clear of a washer/dryer combination machine because they are notorious for being fault magnets, with almost constant filter cleaning and flushing condenser bottles to stop them over heating and burning out and things, can be a real pain in the proverbial.

Reply to
BigWallop

In article , Conrad Edwards writes

We've had one for some years now and no problems at all. Very recommended, and worth that extra. Bit like a BMW over a ford IMHO...

Reply to
tony sayer

I suggested this approach to a relative with 3 young children, who would think the world had caved in when the washing machine broke down. They put one in the kitchen and one in the garage. They have had two machines for near 20 years now, and never had to go to the laundrette (if you can find one).

So are Hotpoint, who make over 1/2 of washing machines sold in the UK, and Bosch.

According to Which? magazine (August 2002) the most reliable machines were: Miele (92%), Candy (90%), Bosch (89%) and AEG (86%).

Candy are dirt cheap machines with Argos having a deal on one for £189. Another point is always get the basic machine as most people never use the extra functions, which means more money and more to go wrong.

Also go to John Lewis who have rock bottom deals, "never knowingly undersold", and give a TWO year guarantee on all white goods. They are on-line now. Hotpoint give 1 one year parts & labour (2 with John Lewis) and 5 for parts.

If getting a £189 Candy from Argos, they are so cheap it is worth getting the extra guarantee.

Reply to
IMM

And BMW's still break down. Not as often, but when they do, you envy the man in the Ford riding past.

Reply to
IMM

Envy the man in the Ford!! Never!

But there is (I can't believe I'm typing this) some sense in your suggestion about buying two machines - as long as you have the space.

Reply to
Grunff

In article , IMM writes

Well compare the prices and availability of a Ten year old series 3 with those of Fords of the same vintage.

Let alone the desirability...

Reply to
tony sayer

Course take it to its logical conclusion you'd need a standby generator as well for the odd chance of a power cut.

Never seemed to hurt my mum did it all by hand and her mother before her. And today when anything breaks down the wailing that goes on.

We're turning into a nation of wusses..

Reply to
tony sayer

In 28 years I am only on my second Indesit. I have just replaced the motor brushes after 14 years. We have two children - both go horse riding and so we have washed all the baby things (20 years ago) and are still doing loads of washing.

I agree with the advice to go for a simple machine. Ensure the feet are really well adjusted. Avoid extended warranties. Avoid washer/ dryer combinations.

If has a serious problem - get rid and buy a new one (after trying some switch cleaner on the programmer)

I think that Which-type results are a bit suspect. People who buy more costly appliances tend to get very defensive about them. A bit like Volvo drivers saying how reliable the cars are - but they forget how much they spend on services (or VW - or others) (or that really expensive Vacuum cleaner that needs you to take out a mortgage)

Reply to
John

You are off mark. They still break down.

Irrelevant! This is intangible.

Reply to
IMM

Yeh, no one in their right mind would be seen dead in a 10 year old BMW.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Though if they did, they would be on 24/7.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No, he isn't. The point is that if a BMW is more reliable and breaks down less often than a Ford, then it's total cost of ownership will be lower.

And when you factor in how much more pleasant doing 80k miles in my 325 is compared to doing the same in a Focus, it makes even more sense.

Reply to
Grunff

In article , John writes

Actually we've got a Volvo 850 estate and its never been a moments trouble. Done 135 K miles and the engine sounds like its just been run in. And it no longer goes to main dealers since they were bought out by another lot. A local mechanic looks after it and its tickety boo. Still got that very solid feel about it too.

Oh, just remembered the vacuum cleaner is a miele too!......

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , fred writes

Just that its more environmentally friendly to buy something that will last rather than summat cheap, that will fill the landfill sooner. Just look at modern day Videos and TV's..

Reply to
tony sayer

I don't follow the logic of that. The cost of having to replace a set of bearings is not so much the cost of the materials - as you point out they are cheap - but in the cost of doing the work.

I have no idea how long changing bearings takes on a Hotpoint or how it is done, but I am sure that the labour cost for having the work done professionally is going to be several times the parts cost.

Having looked at Miele spares pricing, some while ago, it didn't strike me as expensive, and I do know that servicing on their washers can be done entirely from the front - very useful considering the weight of the very solid engineering.

Anyway, my philosophy in this is that I view my DIY time as expensive. I would rather spend it creating something rather than fixing something that is broken, so if spending a little more on a quality product that over its life saves me 2-3 days of time then that makes good economic sense to me.

Even if you don't mind spending the time, not having to fix something that breaks seems worthwhile.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes...but to a DIY-er it's a good deal. To a non-DIY-er it isn't.

Or, to put it another way...the TCO of a Hotpoint is lower than a Miele to a DIY-er...but *may* not be to soemone else.

Ian probably knows...but it took me about 3 hours...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've got an 850 too....after having enough of Fiat Panda type cars...but 850s have their problems like anything else mechanical. My camshaft position sensor died last month so I had to get relayed...but fixed next day.

At the moment we have an unreliable Hoover washer/dryer (lived in a flat before so no space) and a baby so the thing's taking a hammering. Rather than pay £10pm for home appliance cover for repairs I was thinking of shelling out for a Miele 404Plus with the five year warranty they offer now...the costs about balance out over the long term. How long does a Miele repairman take to come out from reporting a fault? Are they the same 'gentlemen' that BGas send round to umm and arrr?

Probably get a dirt cheap dryer to throw in the garage for winter...good idea about John Lewis, I'll have to go the Sheffield to have a look at prices.

I don't really have the room for two washing machines, but could always keep the washer/dryer as a backup to be wheeled out...just add it to my collection of other spares I keep 'just in case' - I'll probably look like Albert Steptoe by the time I retire.....

Reply to
Conrad Edwards

I never thought by your posts that you had a house so large that two washing machines wouldn't be a problem. I'd say they'd be a pain for most.

Reply to
Dave Plowman