Lifting Vinyl Flooring

We are trying to lift vinyl flooring that has been glued very firmly in place.

We have bought a special tool (like a paper scraper but bigger) but it still doesn't come up very easily.

Can anyone suggest the best way to remove it.

Thanks

Reply to
wembury

Did this recently using my SDS drill in chisel mode and a 75mm tile-removing chisel. Worked brilliantly but watch out for your eardrums - and the cost of the chisel (£30 from Screwfix and others say they break easily if you don't think about where the forces are applied and follow the instructions carefully). May not compute if you don't already have a rotation-stoppable SDS drill but otherwise I fear you are doomed to an awful lot of manual labour with your paper-scraper-but-bigger.

Reply to
rrh

Are these individual self adhesive tiles or sheet? See other posts of today, have you tried throughly warming the vinyl and goo?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
wembury

I'm with you on this one Dave. Try heating the vinyl and the glue that's holding it down until it releases its grip. While your still heating the remaining glue, use your scraper to get it off the floor.

Reply to
BigWallop

Heat gun as in electric paint striper? Go easy it'll be easy to start generating (noxious?) fumes.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Please be careful - a friend of mine has a son who did this to life vinyl tiles, and he ended up in hospital on a ventilator for a week and is still suffering from kidney damage from the fumes off the glue.

Jayne

Reply to
Jayne

Hi,

Scoring it into strips with a knife or even a circular saw might help, allowing each strip to be scraped or chiselled off at a time.

Another approach could be to freeze it with liquid CO2, dry ice or possibly crushed ice and salt, and chip it off with a chisel in an SDS drill.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C