Picture Frame Pins

No mention here of vnails that are used to pin picture frames? I'm after a punch that will drive these v-shaped nails into the corners of picture frames, and the only one I can find is £40. Does anyone have another source please? I'm only doing 50 or so per month, nothing heavy duty, BJ

Reply to
BJ

A big staple gun does the same job in one go. I've just repaired three frames from the kids room with a Rapesco Stapler that fires the big staples that upholsterers use. Touch of glue on the inside of the joint, press firmly together in G clamp and little blocks of wood, fire the staple across the joint. Jobs a good 'un.

Reply to
BigWallop

I used one of the the 40 quid "pushmaster" jobbies that Axminster do recently. I presume this is the type of tool you were refering to.

I have to say that it does do the job very well. It also makes inserting flexi tabs or panel pins to hold in the back board very simple, it also helps to screw in eyelets for hanging wires. So although a tad expensive I would have thought 50 frames a month would justify it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Don't know whether you're referring to the 90 degree fixings that go across the mitres, or those that hold the board in the frame. The former are delivered by compressed air and an underpinner, which is an expensive piece of kit. The latter are also best with compressed air but knocking panel pins in with a chisel edge is pretty fast

Reply to
stuart noble

Thanks everyone. I think it'll be the Pushmaster from a local shop. It seems to be one of those products that varies very little in price anywhere unless anyone can improve on £40? BJ

Reply to
BJ

It is the former, across the mitres at the rear of the frame. These fixings are Vnails are'nt they? Does a Push Master use compressed air? I thought it was muscle power, ie a quick shove?! BJ

Reply to
BJ

The pushmaster is as the name suggests - manual. If you need extra push you can mount it in a standard drill stand. I found with softwood frames it was very easy to push the vnails into place. So unless you are making frames from seasoned oak you should be fine!

You can get spring loaded staple gun type tools that do each of the separate jobs as well - I don't expect they do any better than the pushmaster though.

Reply to
John Rumm

The reason for air underpinners is that the firing is done by foot pedal, leaving both hands free to hold the pieces in position, but there is a manual type at

for £59. The other option is mitre clips. These are "sprung" on to the outside corners with special pliers, and the joints cross pinned when the glue has dried. Very effective but they leave little marks which need filling. Have a look at
are pretty big in this area and I'd certainly talk to them before spending any money.

Reply to
stuart noble

Thanks everyone. After some deliberation I've gone for the basic Pushmaster. After my pessimism in an earlier post that the £40 tag seemed a uniform price the guy in the shop charged me £5 less! Of course it could have been a mistake but I didnt wait around to find out....... BJ

Reply to
BJ