Whirlpool washer won't spin *already checked sites*

I posted about a month ago with this problem, and although I appreciate the responses I received, they didn't help me solve the problem. So I'm trying one more time...I'm going to give exact model info & problem descriptions as exact as I can.

Model: Whirlpool Heavy Duty Super Capacity Plus Model#LSC8244D (no drive belt)

Problem: Doesn't spin. Note: if I take all clothes out of it and then press the lid switch it WILL spin...it seems that when *any* weight is in it, a mechanical part is failing that doesn't allow it to start spinning.

It drains, rinses, and cycles. I've already replaced the lid switch & checked the contacts in the timing mechanism.

How I can "make" it spin: open the lid during the spin cycle, HOLD DOWN the LID SWITCH with a screwdriver, and then MANUALLY give the tub a push in a clockwise motion. At that point it will spin ON its own, and finish normally(this only works for small loads though..nothing very heavy).

Other than not spinning out, all other functions work fine. Please post what part/s I need to look at next. Thanks!

-paul

Reply to
paul

Your washer has a clutch and transmission...similar to a car's. An educated guess would point to the clutch being shot...it's not engaging or it's slipping, but your push gets the tub going...which tells me the tranny is probably OK.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Thanks for the reply! So is the clutch easy to replace/expensive? I had found a great site a while ago with a lot of walk throughs and diagrams, but I'm unable to find it right now :(

-paul

descriptions

Reply to
paul

Check home depot or Lowes, or a appliance repair parts store....they all have how-to books for repairing washer and dryers. Also, the Readers Digest "How to Fix Anything" book.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Hi,

That is part of the full model#.

Any strange noises?

Clothes between the tanks, loose tub nut or drive block, worn off tabs for the drive block, weak clutch, brake not releasing may hold the tub back from spinning.

*Some* common trouble makers.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff