HELP! Whirlpool washer won't spin

Hi, I have a Whirlpool model LSR8233JQO and the tub/drum no longer rotates. It worked just fine a year and half ago. It then sat on my covered porch unused for that time period. When I brought in to use again, it worked, it washes, it agitates, it drains but it won't spin!

I've already replaced the lid switch, clutch and coupler, agitator cam kit. (these are all the things others said to change out for my problem)

It still won't spin. I can't even spin it with my hands.

The machine is still sitting in parts on my floor until I can get an answer from you smart folk on what it could be.

PS I've spent 5 days working on this and $40. I live on a tight fixed income so I don't want to throw more money at it if I need to find a used one somewhere. Thank you in advance!

Reply to
Rumy luvgrl

Hi, I have a top loading Whirlpool model LSR8233JQO and the tub/drum no longer rotates. It worked just fine a year and half ago. It then sat on my covered porch unused for that time period. When I brought in to use again, it worked, it washes, it agitates, it drains but it won't spin!

I've already replaced the lid switch, clutch and coupler, agitator cam kit. (these are all the things others said to change out for my problem) I also checked the pump to make sure nothing was caught in it. All drain hoses are cleared (ran a marble thru them)

It still won't spin. I can't even spin it with my hands.

The machine is still sitting in parts on my floor until I can get an answer from you smart folk on what it could be.

PS I've spent 5 days working on this and $40. I live on a tight fixed income so I don't want to throw more money at it if I need to find a used one somewhere. Thank you in advance!

Reply to
Rumy luvgrl

Try here if no one else has words of wisdom to offer:

Dean Hoffman

Thank you Dean

Reply to
Rumy luvgrl

I forgot to mention that it might be worth your time to look for parts on Ebay and maybe Amazon.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

If it's off and you try to turn the basket with your hands, can you? Is it easy? Oh, below you say no.

Is this a front loader or top loader?

I had a washing machine, a sears whirlpool now that you mention it, very old. I found it on the street, just a half a block from my apartmeent. I borrowed the building's dolly to bring it home . Just had to clean the water screen, fix the lid switch (which I then disabled) and paint it a little -- I'd had to drill out some screw, I forget why. -- and it was good for 4 or 6 years.

Then it wouldn't spin. Back then there was the whirlpool cool line. Not as hot as a hot line, but cool. I'm not sure the current customer service is as good. See below. But at that time, the 1970's, they had experienced appliance repairmen, not people reading scripts but who had worked for years as repairment (and one woman who was as good as the men) and they spent as much time with me as needed, never rushed me, up to 30 minutes once iirc, never told me it was beyond a homeowners skill.

Maybe they are still like that. Report back.

This was a top loader of course and when I couldn't get the drum to lift up and off, she concluded the main bearing was rusted to the post also to the inside of the center tube of the basket. And that even a repairman would throw it away. But I don't think you've gotten that far in your diagnosis.

Open the top, unscrew the big cap on the center post, and lift up the basket. If it doesn't come, check if I've forgotten something that would hold it in. If it still won't come, even if you try to force it, you may be in the same situation I was in.

I blamed myself for not using it enough -- if I had it now, I'd run it every week** or couple weeks, at least made it spin for a minute, even if I'd been away and done my laundry somewhere else -- but I used it more often than you. Mine wasn't even on a covered porch. It was in the kitchen. **Of course I have another top loader sears whirlpool now that is 41 years old and I don't do that. Three times in the last 4 years I went away for 2 or 3 months and there was no one to run it, but it was fine. Maybe I'm lucky this time, or the machines is still younger, or something special made the first one rust. Maybe water leaked in.

A month later, I found another one on the street, right across the street from my apartment. Dark green instead of white. It was a full size machine, a whirlpool, and it had its own wheels, that retracted with a 3 foot handle in the back when you had it in place. Made for apartments, but I had space and never had to move it once it was in place. It needed even less work. The plastic dial was partly broken, and scraped and could not be read. AFAICR, that's all that was wrong.

I had made a special trip back from Allentown to Brooklyn, to kick out my roommate who was driving me crazy, and before I could do it, she came and told me she was moving. So I'd come back in the middle of visiting my parents for nothing, and then I found the washing machine, which certainly made it well worth the trip. Strange how these things work.

if you haven't got the manual, maybe it will have some hints. Maybe there is even a repair manual.

Ohd,

Reply to
micky

I just tried moving mine by hand and it won't move either, which is what I thought might be the case. I think they have a brake on them to quickly stop it if the lid opens. It's been decades since I worked on one, but back in the day there was a transmission of some kind with a solenoid that engaged the drum. You could hear it clunk when it engaged. So, what happens when it gets to the point that the spinning should start? Any sound? I'd take a look at the mechanism and see if you can identify what engages it, how it works. If there is a solenoid involved see it it's trying to move, if there is AC voltage getting there, etc. If not, then work your way back in the circuit.

Try looking for videos for that make or similar on Youtube.

Reply to
trader_4

UPDATE: Thank you to all who responded. I have successfully fixed it! My roomie says I'm like the dad in A Christmas Story who refused to give up on his furnace, lol. After much more searching, reading, understanding schematics, I went back to square one. The original lid switch had a bigger plug in cap than the one I received in the mail. After looking at it carefully and looking at the wires on my washer, I noticed two of the wires on the washer had been cut, twisted together and capped off. The wires on the original lid switch harness were all connected properly. The ONLY thing the original and washer had in common were the green ground wired. So I spliced the wiring together (easy to do but took a minute to get those little connectors inside the wiring cap out to splice those). THEN as I looked at all the pieces of my washer on the floor, my eyes locked in on the cam brake release. I noticed it had 2 small holes on one side. "Great" I thought, "do these holes mean anything and if so, do I put it back on with the holes facing out or in?" I looked at the old white plastic part from the machine (that I had originally left on) and the new part. Voila! I see the old one is missing a peg (and now know the two pegs go into the two holes). I also made sure the old clutch was indeed bad (it was as I could move it around). So I put it all back together and ran an empty small load just to clean the inside out and see if it worked. Not only does my machine work, it's like it's on steroids! It's wonderful! I am on my 6th load of laundry and have about 3 more to do (ladies, when your husbands tell you you have too many clothes or too many sets of sheets, tell them you never know how long you may need to go without a machine! I just went 20 days) I feel like now I could repair these things for a living, had I not broke 4 nails in the process. Thank you again everyone for the help and stories.

Reply to
Rumy luvgrl

Thanks for the follow-up.

Reply to