How to hang 40-50 lbs on vinyl siding

My 12x18 shed is vinyl sided. I want to mount 3 brackets across the back side of the shed to span just about the full 18'. These brackets will hold a reel of material ....basically a tarp... that will weigh approx 40 lbs.

Can anyone suggest the best way to mount these brackets into the vinyl? I already made one hole with a screw but the vinyl appeared to pull away from the wall rather than the screw bite in and hold. Any special screws or anchors needed? Is there a way to do this without drilling?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
MJ

Large screws into the wall studs through the vinyl. For this purpose forget the vinyl exists. You will almost certainly need to drill a pilot hole.

--

Reply to
dpb

MJ,

I'd have very little faith in the siding. Mount the brackets to the frame of the structure not to the siding. You will need to drill a few pilot holes.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

on 9/21/2007 8:21 AM MJ said the following:

Use long enough screws to go into the sheathing.

Reply to
willshak

Use a long enough screw to go into a stud and problem solved. No way would I trust the siding to hold that much weight.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski